1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I need a new graphics card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by randombob, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. randombob

randombob Thread Starter

When I went to start my pc today all I could hear was the fan and only "compaq" came up on the screen". So after a while of re-trying etc, i decided to take the graphics card out and then it worked. I tried it with the graphics card again to see if it would work. it didn't.

So i'm wondering if this has happened to other people, and if it's a sign the graphics card has packed in? I don't want to buy a new graphics card finding out there's something else wrong. But it works now without the graphics card so i'm guessing there is something wrong. I've had it in the computer for about 2 years so it's had a fair bit of use.

I just need other peoples views.

2. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Seems to me that you have an onboard videoCHIP which has taken control of the video; in order to make your videoCARD work again, you'll need to change a setting within the CMOS Setup program, to tell the system to use the videoCARD, not the videoCHIP, during POST.

FIRST, shutdown and UNPLUG the computer. Next, reinstall the videoCARD in the same slot you removed it from. Be SURE to reattach any power connectors you previously removed from the videocard, IF your vidcard uses an additional power connector.

Once you've properly reinstalled the videocard, plug the computer in and reboot the system. During bootup (the POST process), press the DEL key to enter the CMOS setup program; if that doesn't work, try pressing the F2 key, or do some research so you'll know how to enter the CMOS Setup program for your particular system. Once you've entered the CMOS Setup, find the section that allows you to choose which video device to boot from; it is probably already booting from the onboard videoCHIP, so change the setting to boot from your videoCARD. Then, exit the CMOS Setup, and remember to SAVE YOUR SETTINGS on exit. The system will reboot, and it SHOULD find the videoCARD and use it instead of booting from the onboard videoCHIP.

If you're not sure how to do this, post any questions you might have, and be sure to let us know how this turns out.

3. randombob

randombob Thread Starter

I put the videocard back in, plugged everything back in. Then when I turned it on all I could hear was the fan. Nothing happened on the screen. I did notice that in the CMOS setup there were 3 options under graphics;

PCI
    Onboard
    PCI-E

it was still on PCI (which was probably the option when I got the PC), so I changed to the other options and tried the videocard again, each time resulting in only the fan working. right now it's set to onboard and I think that's right considering there is no videocard in. Would this suggest I need a new videocard?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is possible the video card has failed. Try it in another [known working system]

There are other another possibilities as well; your pw supply can be failing, the motherboard could have failed, etc.

As a test, pull power from ALL drives both optical and hard disk, pull the power from any case fans, LED type lights, etc. Now see if the system will post with your video card installed. If it does, your pw supply is failing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643692

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice