1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I need a new motherboard or power supply?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andoochau, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andoochau

andoochau Thread Starter

hi, i'm new to this site so please help me with my computer!
    i'm sorry if this is in the wrong place to post this fourm

anyways, lately I have been having troubles having my computer bootup and have a startup screen or windows pop up, but it doesn't. I sometimes have to boot it 1 out of 10 times for it to work, and eventually it does. One day it froze, so I held the power button to turn it off, Now it doesnt have a post screen. SO now, the power is on, fans running, videocard fan running, but nothing on display. I'm not too sure if its the power supply, even though its 450watt because it lasted me 4-5 years plus all my fans are running. I posted help and people said it is my power supply due to because it doesn't give enough power to my 8800!

I'm assuming its the motherboard because i heard no beep when I turn on my computer, also I've tried taking my ram out and turning it on and there is no continuous beep i am suppose to hear. I change my ram around, i took out my processer to check, my monitor should be fine. When I turn it on, the only sound i hear from it is my discdrive , and also my cpu fan is the last fan that spins after awhile. I took out my videocard, and cleaned it and put it back, i did that to my sound card and my network card too. so please help me out! =( i don't wanna go buy a new computer!

my specs:
    2x2gb DDR SD Crucial Ballistix 1066Mhz
    Nvidia Geforce 8800
    Gigabyte S-series GA-P35-DS3L Motherboard
    450watt Corsair power supply
    Intel duocore 2 2.66 or 2.8 Ghz (im really bad with computers) lol sorry guys

hope this helps!

2. angel86libran

angel86libran

dude...ur sure its no post and no video...

3. angel86libran

angel86libran

try using one ran at a time..it might help..

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The CMOS memory may be corrupted. With the computer turned off, clear the CMOS memory by moving the CLR CMOS jumper (near the battery), then move it back after a couple of seconds. Try booting again.

If that doesn't work try unplugging your DVD and hard drives. See if POST will run up to getting a no boot device error.

5. angel86libran

angel86libran

frank what made u think the cmos battery was corrupted???

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The cmos battery does not get corrupted; the cmos does. The battery is what supplies current to keep the cmos settings.

Frank's advise is valid. When you pw ON and OFF the machine with the ON button rather than a correct shutdown, cmos data can be corrupted. In addition a failed peripheral ie CD drive, usb device, etc can stop POST.

7. andoochau

andoochau Thread Starter

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Thats it. But I don't see the black thing to take out that you are referring too - normally there's either a jumper that you remove, move over, or place over the pins. If you don't have a jumper then you can use something like a screw driver to short, connect the two pins together, for a few seconds to clear the settings.

9. andoochau

andoochau Thread Starter

it didn't seem to work, still no screen came up!
    I also just notice my power supply fan isn't spinning

does that mean its the power supply?

all my other fans are sppinning now

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It could very well be the PSU, do you have access to another one to swap in as a test?

11. andoochau

andoochau Thread Starter

hi, ive went to the store, and checked with the people and said my power supply is goood.
    also i bought a new motherboard asus p5g41-m le and tried it
    realized it didn't work. I even checked if it was my video card by pluging it into the new motherboard which is integrated wiith video, and still no sign

could it be the processor?

I also saw that my motherboard powering on, then all of a sudden the cpu fan turn off so did the powersupply fan

anysigns?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

With all of this swapping boards, pw supply, etc; I would really do an out of the case build with just the mb, video, one ram chip, etc.
    With the board out of the case and in a bare bones config, it is easier to troubleshoot the problem.

13. Bernardo

Bernardo

You said you bought a new mobo. That entails installing the cpu. Did you use some thermal paste on the cpu? Clean the old stuff off first? On/off could be the cpu overheating rapidly...

14. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

I would have thought a PSU fan not spinning would be a clear problem. If it isn't spinning and you manage to get it to boot up there is a fair chance the PSU will overheat and die again. Unless corsair have some kind of fan speed controll that doesn't turn the fan on until a certain temp?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/924698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice