1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I need a new router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by edgewoodzgimp13, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. edgewoodzgimp13

edgewoodzgimp13 Thread Starter

So I'm having some serious issues and it's starting to realllllllyyy piss me off. I'm using a new cable modem and an old hand-me-down NetGear router; it's a WGR614 v4. I have the router hard wired to my computer. The issue I'm having is webpage lags and connectivity. Webpages load slow, sometimes not at all. I usually have to hit the reload button a couple of times. Sometimes it will load half way not formatted and have to press reload a few times for it to load properly. I know it's not the internet because when connected to my torrent client I'm getting max speeds of 2.5 MB/s and when testing at www.speedtest.net I'm getting download speeds of 21Mbps and upload speeds of 9Mbps. When I disconnect the router and just hardwire my modem to the computer I have no issues and webpages load extremely quick. So is the issue my router? Check out the attachments. This is what it does. Also why the dip on the chart from my speed test?

Attached Files:

• lag.jpg
      lag.jpg
      File size:
      147 KB
      Views:
    • test.jpg
      test.jpg
      File size:
      222.5 KB
      Views:
  2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router. Reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it. If that doesn't coax it into working properly I would agree that it is time for a new router.

Caution 1: when you have modem to router to computer you are using two ethernet cables. Possibly one of those cables is defective, but this is probably a router issue.

Caution 2: you didn't mention use of wireless and I assumed that you are not using it.

3. edgewoodzgimp13

edgewoodzgimp13 Thread Starter

I have the latest firmware and have reset it to factory default settings. I don't use the wireless since I'm hard wired here but the laptop in the family room does. I don't ever use it but my family complains about it being slow so perhaps a new router should fix all the issues.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    We could explore possible wireless issues, but I bought v5 of that router six years ago, so I really suspect that your v4 is getting tired.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice