1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

do i need a new sound card ?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Mr. Newton, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr. Newton

Mr. Newton Thread Starter

First Name:
    Terry
    hi there,,running windows xp home,Realtek ac97 audio,7.1 surround capability..
    no sound from left speaker,,have tried all the settings & checks in audio devices and sound effects manager..
    plugged a y adapter into the headphones jack on front of computer & plugged rca jacks into my a/v receiver but still only get sound from 1 speaker.
    that tells me it's not a bad connection in the speaker line out..
    should i just bite the bullet & get a new sound card or is this problem fixable?

2. speed_hog

speed_hog

Mr. Newton,
    I don't think it is fixable, Grrrr...
    I had the same issue and didn't figure out how to fix and it was only a year old, Grrrr...
    **does the onboard sound work and play both speakers?

3. Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    by onboard sound ,i'm assuming you mean when i do a speaker test.....both speakers light up when i test them but the sound only comes from 1 speaker..

4. speed_hog

speed_hog

No I was thinking the sound ports that are actually coming out of the motherboard itself
    ** But I am thinking that is what you are having problems with, Yes?
    and you are thinking that you need to buy a sound card!
    So to set the record straight are you currently using onboard sound or is there a sound card in one of the PCI slots?

5. Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    i haven't opened up my computer & can't do so at this time..i have an ati tv wonder pro installed and thought that was the sound card.but i can't get the ati to work either,have given up on that...
    when i saw the 7.1 surround system i just assumed it was a sound card.
    i have to order a long usb cable and i thought i might order a new sound card at the same time.i did a search online on how2 install a sound card so i think i can do it.

6. speed_hog

speed_hog

It is not difficult just be mindful of static discharge and make sure it is seated in the PCI slot all the way and try not to touch any chips on the card or the motherboard.
    Hold it by the edges only.
    *I touch the PC case frame near the power supply to discharge static and then try and keep your forearm against the case at all times if possible.
    If your on carpet which is a no-no take it out to the garage so you are standing on concrete or wood, so you are not getting and creating static electricity from the carpet :)

7. Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    thanks speed_hog,,i was aware of that but it's still good information to post for those that weren't aware of the static hazard.

8. speed_hog

speed_hog

My thoughts exactly, and my butt is covered :)

***How goes the economy in Canada ??
    Sorry off topic but I have been up there a couple times and liked Canada and the people very much and I haven't read or heard one thing about it's economy...

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The most current version of the driver for the Realtek AC'97 Audio is located here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Realtek_AC97_Drivers_d4400.html

It's not going to hurt anything to install the current driver, just in case the old driver has some corrupted files.

----------------------------------------------------------------

10. Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    installed new drivers but still no sound from left speaker,,,will buy a new sound card...& the economy in canada is starting to get shaky,,we are tied to the U S economy.

11. speed_hog

speed_hog

:( grrrr it is scary for sure hope for the best and God Speed.
    Hope the new card fixes your puter sound :)

12. Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    i hope so too since i just bought a yamaha music keyboard that i will be plugging into my puter, hence the desire to have more than 1 speaker working :))

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice