1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I Need a Notebook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blakes7, Aug 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Hi! A friend of mine is entering nursing school and couldn't believe the price of textbooks. He found that he can get the books in pdf form at a considerably lower price. I told him he could use a laptop or notebook. However, he doesn't want to buy a laptop or a notebook to use in class. He'll be taking notes in class, as well as following in the pdf textbook. Will something like a kindle have a keyboard and that capability? Is there anything else he could use besides a laptop or notebook? Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    He may want to make notes within the actual text book - i did , Also writing notes and tabulating the chapters and pages can also be useful
    some of my text books , have labels stuck on each side of the page and also lots of notes , since the books were allowed in the exam and any notes made within the books were also allowed

3. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I've been looking around and came upon android laptops. Would that be a viable solution? The ones I've seen don't have cd rom drive, but some have usb ports. I figure he could put the cd's files on his computer, then copy them to a usb stick, then copy them to the android to use. Thanks.

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

A Chromebook might be a solution.

Light, long battery life, inexpensive...

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Pretty much anything will work as pretty much anything will open a PDF file, even a smart phone. What the decision should be based on is size and weight, keyboard, and battery life and what will work for him the best. If he doesn't want or need a physical keyboard than an Android(or Kindle) or Apple tablet would work and you can add external USB or Bluetooth keyboards to a tablet for when one is needed. If he wants a keyboard everywhere he goes in a convenient package than a Chromebook, laptop/ultrabook, or hybrid tablet like a Microsoft Surface or Lenovo Yoga or Helix are great option but way more pricey. He may want to look at a Galaxy Note as well.

What's he using at home? If at some point he will want a laptop or notebook then a hybrid unit might be the way to go to get the best of both worlds.

Be aware many really cheap Android devices are cheap for a very good reason; very low quality.

6. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. He's looking for the cheapest way possible. He wants to take notes on the same device in class that he's following with e-book. So, I'd say he needs a keyboard, and some size hard drive that he could run word processor on to take his notes and comments. I don't think he's worried about using the device for anything but class. If he gets some use after that, it's a bonus. I don't know much about androids, so I don't know how long their battery life is, but they do have a hard drive. Thanks.

7. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I talked to him, showing pros and cons and got him to open his wallet and let George Washington get a gulp of air. Now he says he can go over $200, but would like to stay under $300. I looked at some chromes, but they seem to have small hard drives---16GB. Any recommendations? Thanks.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    16GB is plenty for taking notes and storing a good amount of PDF's. Also, most of these are cloud connected so you can keep the data in the cloud and connect to wireless to get more content or PDFs.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1131875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice