Do I need a stronger power supply?

Trombean01

I just recently created a new build. I'm using:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z7390
CPU: Intel i9-9900k
RAM: 32 GB
Memory: 2 TB M.2 SSD

I'm planning on getting a new GPU later when the RTX 3000 series is released.

Right now I'm using the power supply from my old system which is 850 watts. I've used a few power supply calculators that have told me that I'm using plenty of power (usually estimating that I need about 450 watts). However, I read an article recently (which I can unfortunately no longer find) describing a "dream" build. The components they were listing were very similar to mine until it got the power supply which the author stated that a 1600 watt power supply is necessary and that you would be "using most of that power".

Is my current power supply ok or am I going to run into problems when I upgrade my GPU?

Thanks!

I seriously doubt that it would pull more than 300 watts, probably closer to 250. So a good 850 watt should leave you more than enough wiggle room.

crjdriver

I seriously doubt you are going to need 1600W unless you are running a miner type system with 6 or more high end video cards. An 850W unit is going to be fine. Hopefully this a quality pw supply that you are using.

Even more GPU efficiency should be there with nvida 3*** series and even now if you're running a single GTX 2080ti all you need is a gold rated 750w - 650w for a GTX 2070 Super. Not just any gold though more and more power supplies are rated gold and they are not. Seasonic, eVGA, would be my pick (gold). If you actually plan on overclocking the 9900k to a static 5.1 ghz overclock then yes 850w for the wiggle room as Spyware mentioned. Might as well get the 850w right? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online