Solved Do I need driver to restore system image from external HD?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

EMN123

I just upgraded win7 ultimate 64 bits to win10 pro 64 bits. My HD is partitioned in drive C (system) and drive D (only data). In windows 7 I used the backup option to save the system image on an external HD. At least once a month, I restore the image, run all the updates and make a new system image. So I am sure that I get rid of any unwanted stuff that sneaked in without my knowledge. I have this habit since my Windows 2000 once crashed and I needed to install everything from scratch - that is when I got Acronis to do the imaging, but it not works on 64 bits.
After I upgraded to windows 10, same way, I made a system image on my external HD plus the new restore CD. To see if the restore image will work, I booted with the restore cd and external HD connected to the usb. To my surprise, the file WindowsImageBackup not shows on the list, like it happened in Windows 7 restore. It shows 3 options: from DVD, from network or from external HD. I chose the external HD (there is where my backup file is) and it asks me to install a driver. When I click on the button, it opens a window where lots of files are listed, including, I was able to search the external HD for the desired driver (so if it can access my external HD, why it not finds the image file???). All files that I chose, the restore software rejected, it was not what it wanted. I restarted windows and went to "Devices and Printers" to see what drivers are connected with the external HD, copied the drivers to the external HD, restarted with the restore CD, and no, no one of that drivers made the restore software happy. I not know what driver it is talking about. It`s frustrating!

I made another test: copied WindowsImageBackup from external HD to drive D on computer, booted with the restore CD, but it not finds the file there also, he wants me to have it on dvds, on network or, if external hd, it wants a driver installed that I not know what driver that is.

External HD is WD "my passport ultra metal edition 2 TB". Any idea what to do? I want to be able to restore my system images from the external HD, not from tons of DVDs that also may want, who knows, what mysterious drivers?

Has any one of you tried to restore the system image in windows 10?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online