1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I need firmware?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by DesperateDan, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DesperateDan

DesperateDan Thread Starter

Hi, I have a sony cd-rw crx216E I've had it for about 2 years does it need to be upgraded with firmware :confused: the driver seems to be working ok, also can you tell me what on the fly means.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The saying for firmware is:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

3. Moby

Moby

That's the correct saying for everything isn't it? ;) (I prefer if it ain't broke, break it! :D)
    'On the fly' is when you copy from one CD say to another, but nothing gets put on your hard drive in the process. A normal non 'on the fly' copy, leaves nothing on your hard drive, but it gets put there temporarily during the process and zapped when the copy is over.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
  5. accat13

accat13

The firmware upgrade may not be necessary,you should check with the sony site to see if there even is an upgrade.A two year span is a long time though.In that time new media has come out as well as faster media.The new firmware could contain information for your drive on how to burn the new media with better results.Like I said check with the sony site sometimes they tell you what the changes are.But flashing firmware always entails a risk,a power failure would mean a trashed drive.(my fingers are always crossed)"On The Fly" don't even think about it,too many things going on at once it leads to buffer issues and low quality burns(maybe even failure).Copy to the hardrive first,don't multi task when burning it will also cause buffer issues.Last but not least don't buy poor quality media,you get what you pay for(no name garbage silvers).Hate to see someone back up important information try to read it a year from now ,and are unable to.

6. DesperateDan

DesperateDan Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the advice regards Dan :D

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Unless it's actually giving you problems, I clearly agree with the "don't update" advice.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/398328

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice