1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do i need more ram?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tmoney23, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tmoney23

Tmoney23 Thread Starter

Hey all. This is my first post sorry if its in the wrong spot. I just got a new computer 2 days ago and its really great (to me lol) but i feel like it could use a little boost. Heres the specs that I know i think i need to upgrade the ram please let me know what you think.

OS. windows xp
    Intel Pentium 4 cpu 3.20 ghz
    1 GB RAM
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 1300

the game I play was getting around 100 fps now its at 70ish. I want to get that number up thats my goal.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What game? 70 fps is great, more then you need.

1GB is OK for Windows XP and most games running on XP, there may be a few exceptions.

However your video card is a professional card, its great at design work such as CAD programs but not so great for gaming. Make sure you have the latest driver: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_176.04.html
    Its also an older card, in the Geforce 5 generation card with only 128MB of RAM.

3. Tmoney23

Tmoney23 Thread Starter

its a 2d game called tibia...not that much needed to run. Im thinking of getting back into WoW again tho so i wanna be able to run it smoothly with decent graphics. Would 2GB make a difference? and if I were to get a "gaming card" would you have a recommendation? I probably want to stay with nvidia. like $100-$150 would be good for me. And thanks for the link

4. Tmoney23

Tmoney23 Thread Starter

I just installed the driver and im confused. Idk what settings i should have everything on. Like my screen refresh rate is 60 hertz. should I keep that or make it 75 or 85?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Here are the requirements for WoW: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/faq/technology.html
    Minimum for XP is 512MB, recommended is 1GB.

In general you will not benefit much from adding more RAM beyond 1GB in an XP box.

You do not need to chance any of the settings for the NVidia driver, defaults are OK for most people. You can increase the refresh rate to 75 or 85HZ if you monitor supports it, there will be less flicker if its a CRT.

What kind of power supply do you have? Most new mid to high range cards require a good 400 or higher wattage power supply with high amps on the +12 volt rail.

A $150 video card will be overkill for you computer, your Pentium 4 processor will hold back the full potential of card in that range.

I'm thinking even a Geforce 9800GT will be limited by a Pentium 4 but its $79: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143186
    A Geforce GT 240, Geforce 9600GT, Radeon HD 3870, or Radeon HD 4670 are also good contenders at a slightly lower price.

6. Tmoney23

Tmoney23 Thread Starter

im not really a computer guy haha can u tell me how to look up my power supply? that kinda blows i thought it was a decent processor and i was gonna be able to play WoW with full graphics and no lag. computer was only $250 but still so you'd recommend I dont change anything? not even get a gaming graphics card. my friend said 2gb will give me the full potential of my computer too but idk how much he really knos.

7. Tmoney23

Tmoney23 Thread Starter

Ok i just found some things that maybe I can add for free anyway. A Buffalo Select thing that looks like 1 GB of RAM. How could I kno if this would properly work in my computer? also found another one that looks like its 256 MB. Also I cant tell if this is a graphics card or not (graphics and video cards are the same right? lol) but its Nvidia Model 0118. Geforce 9800GT would run WoW at full graphics?

8. Tmoney23

Tmoney23 Thread Starter

Also its a Pentium(R) 4 cpu .... dunno if the R means anything

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    WoW recommends a dual core processor for best results, you only have a single core processor. Minimum is a slower single core processor so you're in the middle. FYI, the final Pentium 4 was released in 2006.

Socking memory to a system when the greater area of improvement will be elsewhere is no the right move. If you get free or really cheap RAM then sure.

The video card you have now should run WoW OK, just don't crank the graphics to the highest settings.

Graphics card and video card are indeed the same thing.

To find out what power supply you have you need to open up the case and read the sticker on the side of the power supply, where all the wires come from.

Is this a brand name computer like an HP or Dell? if so what is the model number? If it isn't then download SIW and look under Hardware -> System Summary and Motherboard to find out what you have, especially the motherboard and post all the info here, or do a screenshot. SIW: http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

10. Tmoney23

Tmoney23 Thread Starter

here i just pasted it all

SYSTEM SUMMARY

Property Value
    Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    Product Name hp workstation xw4200
    Version
    Serial Number 2UA51102XC
    Machine Type AT/AT COMPATIBLE
    Infrared (IR) Supported No
    DMI System UUID 96FEAB3A-A596D911-BBDA79CD-B0740012
    UUID 3AABFE96-96A5-11D9-BBDA-79CDB0740012

Disk Space Disk C: 67 GB Available, 74 GB Total, 67 GB Free

Physical Memory 1024 MB Total, 588 MB Free
    Memory Load 42%

Virtual Memory 1695 MB Total, 1364 MB Free

PageFile Name C:\pagefile.sys
    PageFile Size 768 MB
    In use 16 MB
    Max used 25 MB
    Registry Size 2 MB (current), 54 MB (maximum)

Profile GUID {a1f903c0-487c-11df-8aaf-806d6172696f}

The system clock interval 15 ms

MOTHERBOARD

Property Value
    Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    Model 0914h
    Serial Number 2UA51102XC

North Bridge Intel i925X Revision B1
    South Bridge Intel 82801FB (ICH6) Revision B1

CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
    Cpu Socket Socket 775 LGA

System Slots 7 PCI

Memory Summary
    Maximum Capacity 4096 MBytes
    Memory Slots 4
    Error Correction Multi-bit ECC

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

Ok just so u know I downloaded a trial version of WoW and had between 19-23 FPS. It'll run but i definately want it quicker than that so i need to buy a better graphics card and maybe a dual core processor... idk

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Only single core processors are supported on that system, so no worthwhile CPU upgrades for you.

The video card should increase performance considerable though for WoW.

The power supply is 410 watts and should be good quality being a workstation system, so it should be fine for the 9800GT.

12. Tmoney23

Tmoney23 Thread Starter

alright sweet. Thanks for the advice man i really appreciate it. Just 1 more thing do you think the 9800 GT or Radeon HD 4670 would be better?

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The 9800GT is the faster card, the 4670 would likely be sufficient though, I'm sure both will be limited by the CPU from their max potential.

14. Tmoney23

Tmoney23 Thread Starter

Ok. im still disappointed by this... cpu is the processor right? I may want to sell my computer for a dual core processor...preferably intel. Do you have a recommendation for that... im not looking to spend too much but i'd like to have a computer to run wow with full graphics basically. And if i could find parts and build a better computer for cheaper im sure my aunt could do that for me.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, CPU is processor.

So you want to build new or buy new/used? You're going to be looking at about $600 for something that is decent for gaming.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918117

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice