Solved Do I need Paragon HFS+ so my Windows 10 sees external drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sue4635

I have a Seagate Backup Plus external drive. I used it to backup my windows 7 files. When I connected it to my Windows 10 PC the drive showed up at first and I looked at some folders on it. Then the drive was no longer showing up in My Computer. I tried rebooting, uplugging it and replugging it in, etc. but now I can't see the drive on windows 10.

When looking for help on the Web I found that Seagate recommends the Paragon HFS+ driver.
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articl...S&key=ka03A000000tzeRQAQ&kb=n&wwwlocale=en-us
However I watched a YouTube about it and some people said it really messed up their system while others said it worked.

Should I proceed with installing the Paragon HFS+ driver from Seagate's site?

FYI this is the same PC for which I had a thread about the optical drive not visible. Thanks to Macboatmaster it's fixed.

You folks are awesome! Thank you for your help.

Sue

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 22 Model 0 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 7618 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8400, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 685 GB (636 GB Free);
Motherboard: AMD, Larne
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What happens if you boot up with it unplugged and then plug it in?
I have had several Seagate drives that have issues with them not being found at time of boot.

managed

Allan
The Paragon HFS+ driver is used to see files on a hard drive formatted with Apple's HFS+ file system. If you haven't formatted the drive using an Apple computer you don't need that driver.

sue4635

DaveA,
If I boot up with the drive unplugged and then plug the drive in, it makes the whirring noise but I don't get an Autoplay window and the drive doesn't show up under My Computer. The funny thing is that the very first time I did this it worked but it hasn't worked since. And no Windows Update (or anything else) ran in the interim.

Allan, thank you for the post.

sue4635

I called Seagate support at 800-732-4283. I had been using the usb 3.0 port on Windows 10 and they said to try a usb 2.0 port and the drive worked. Then I was told to get a usb 3.0 driver from windows website. I would prefer a download from Microsoft but at their website I could not find a suitable driver. However when I did a web search I got ads from driverassist.com and driverupdate.net; and through cnet I found reviversoft.com. They all indicate that they have the driver I need. Would it be safe to download a driver from one of these sites? Thank you.

sue4635

I am going to close this case. Getting a USB 3.0 driver isn't that important to me. I am glad I found this out now so that when I buy flash drives I won't bother paying the extra money for USB 3.0.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online