Do i need pcie card?

lawsob

I built my pc with a MSI b450m gaming plus which does not have wifi connectivity. I move around a lot and have always had trouble getting strong connections using wifi. I bought a ASUS USB-AC53 Nano USB Wireless adapter but due not having a DVD drive or wifi connection in the first place I really wasn't able to get it working. I still have it plugged in so I'm not even sure if it's working. I usually don't have too many issues browsing the internet but when it comes to streams, video games, ore really anything that needs a strong connection, I struggle to connect/stay connected.

SO my question is,
Should I buy a PCIE card for my PC and if so which one?

I apologize as when it comes to pc I lack in knowledge. Please feel free to roast me or call me stupid.

Or be nice and kindly enlighten me so I can stop puling my hair out over bad connections.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200806120215.000000-300
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 1 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 12
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (800 GB Free);
Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. B450M GAMING PLUS (MS-7B87), ver 1.0, s/n J216416418
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Couriant

James
Hello and welcome @lawsob!

The first thing we would need to establish is the signal strength. You mention that you had to move around.... what modem and router (if applicable) do you have? Is the modem (if router is onboard) or the router in a cupboard or behind anything?

TerryNet

Terry
ASUS USB-AC53 Nano USB Wireless adapter claims to be the smallest wireless adapter. Its antenna is not exactly the largest or best! You have to be sure that there is a pretty unobstructed path from the wireless router or access point to the little adapter.

If you buy another adapter you will probably be better off if you get one with a good antenna, maybe one that can be placed on top of the computer or at a short distance from it.

crjdriver

I have three systems here that use wireless; two with asus cards and one with a dlink card. All are pci-e and work without problems. One even goes from router upstairs to the bedroom downstairs at the other end of the house.

lawsob

Hello and welcome @lawsob!

The first thing we would need to establish is the signal strength. You mention that you had to move around.... what modem and router (if applicable) do you have? Is the modem (if router is onboard) or the router in a cupboard or behind anything?
Well I'm fairly confident it doesn't have to do with the modem and router, as when I move around I'm connecting to different ones each time. As well as my laptop and phone have no issues.

Couriant

James
OK, so you have wireless repeaters, or a mesh system? and to make sure I got this right, this is in a home setting, not work?

lawsob

OK, so you have wireless repeaters, or a mesh system? and to make sure I got this right, this is in a home setting, not work?
Well its usually a single wifi repeater and yes this is all at home.

"]
ASUS USB-AC53 Nano USB Wireless adapter claims to be the smallest wireless adapter. Its antenna is not exactly the largest or best! You have to be sure that there is a pretty unobstructed path from the wireless router or access point to the little adapter.

If you buy another adapter you will probably be better off if you get one with a good antenna, maybe one that can be placed on top of the computer or at a short distance from it.
[/QUOTE]

Would using two network adapters

lawsob

You can use two network adapters at the same time and it would help? Can you recommend a good network adapter?

TerryNet

Terry
You can use two network adapters at the same time and it would help?
You can use multiple network adapters to simultaneous connect to multiple networks. But that wouldn't help your situation.

Can you recommend a good network adapter?
No, I haven't bought one or even researched any for years. They are probably all good, although every manufacturer from time to time produces a dud.

James mentioned signal strength. You haven't responded to that and I am assuming that the signals between the router or access point and the adapter are not sufficiently strong. Or there could be interference as a second possibility.

lawsob

I have three systems here that use wireless; two with asus cards and one with a dlink card. All are pci-e and work without problems. One even goes from router upstairs to the bedroom downstairs at the other end of the house.
You can use multiple network adapters to simultaneous connect to multiple networks. But that wouldn't help your situation.

No, I haven't bought one or even researched any for years. They are probably all good, although every manufacturer from time to time produces a dud.

James mentioned signal strength. You haven't responded to that and I am assuming that the signals between the router or access point and the adapter are not sufficiently strong. Or there could be interference as a second possibility.
Update... I bough a Tp-link Archer te6 PCIE card, installed it and it has made no difference. according to speedtest.net I have a ping of 10, download of 2.06mbps, and upload of 4.88. The download and upload speed being horrendous. So now I have a asus usb card adapter and tp-link pcie card ($40) and still a very weak connection. I am currently to only person using the network as well. My macbook air has a ping of 10, download speed of 25.34, and upload of 11.34. I am so frustrated with this whole process and am not sure what to do. But to answer your question based on my laptops results no the between my access point/router are not very strong but according to my computer using device manager both network adapter are working properly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online