Do i need router?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cky

hi i am trying to makea network with my windows xp machine and my linux box (xandros) neither computer seems to show up to each other under the networks. i am using a $15 (canadain) ethernet switch to connect all the computers in my house (3). do i need a router to make a sucessful network or will my ethernet switch do?

etaf

Wayne
did you also want then to access the internet ?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Also are your machines on the same Network ID and subnet?

cky

yes, i am sharing the internet but i also want them to be able to share files and printers. but i NEED a router? or can this be done with an ethernet switch im just trying to see why its not working with my current setup.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You only need the router if you are going to have multiple computers needing internet access, unless you are using some kind of ICS.

Again, are your machines on the same subnet and network ID?

cky

how do i check if they are in the same subnet and networl id? and what is an ethernet switch for then because i bought it and it works fine for sharing internet between computers but i cant seem to get a network going

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
IPCONFIG /ALL in command line on all machines for Windows. IFCONFIG is for linux, unless your linux version is different.

Usually if you are using a 192.168.x.x IP Address the default subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

cky

i did it on windows and the subnet mask is exactly what u said but on linux i couldnt do it because if config wasnt recognised as a command. but im pretty shure it is my ethernet switch or something because i was having network trouble before with a windows machine.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Did you do if config or ifconfig? (the /all is for windows only)
I would consult a manual if available for the correct command

Also can you clarify what you meant by:

"neither computer seems to show up to each other under the networks. "

Or start from the beginning :D

TerryNet

Terry
Maybe it would help if you describe your current network. Using ICS on one computer to share internet? Or your ISP is giving multiple connections via the switch?

Can you post the ipconfig /all for the XP machine that you are trying to enable file and printer sharing?

cky

i did ifconfig and when i said neither computer shows up under the networks i mean that the computers cannot see each other on the network

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Then it sounds like that your TCP/IP Infomation is incorrect.

Can you provide us with the information TerryNet mentioned as well as the TCP/IP info for the other machines.

cky

ok... my isp gives me one internet connection that come out of a high speed modem via ethernet cable, this pluges into my ethernet switch, then an ethernet cable comes out of the ethernet switch to each computer that needs internet. how do i copy from the windows console? and i still couldnt get ifconfig to work on linux, and what is tcp/ip?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
OK, first off a switch cannot share the internet. Only a router can do that. This is probably where the problem lies. If you switch your switch for a router, and set the machines to automatically obtain IP addresses, then the computers should be on one network and be able to share the internet. As for your linux distro, you will need to consult the website for that. I'm just starting to learn linux and I have only used RedHat and Ferdora. Both uses the ifconfig command. I'm not too sure what it is for your distro.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online