1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I Need So Many Processes & Services?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by orange666, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. orange666

orange666 Thread Starter

While I've had task manager open for a moment, the number of processes varies from 97-99!!!

Msconfig shows about 145 services listed (!), 60 show stopped, the rest running. Do I need so many, stopped and running?

In the Startup tab (msconfig), it shows about 30 items, though 15 I've unchecked at one time or another. I can't be certain that everything still checked is necessary, though it seems so.

The fan kicks on more lately and laptop runs too hot. I used to be able to have two browsers open and another program or two without it heating up. I've been running AVG and Spybot, but they don't turn up anything.

What are the easiest ways for a non-techie to clean up as much as I can? Really don't want 99 processes running at all times.

Thanks for any help.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Yes, Windows 7 has a lot of them.

When was the last time this machine was opened up and the dust bunnies blown out?

3. orange666

orange666 Thread Starter

This is Vista, but perhaps it is the same as Windows 7. Still, I've never seen this many processes.

Last time this laptop was opened was when a tech replaced the hard drive 7 months ago. I'll open it and check for dust. Could that possibly be the cause of so many processes? I wouldn't have thought so. Thanks.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Yes, the added heavy use of processes started with Vista.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089220

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice