1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I need to add a wireless repeater?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Sasquatch, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Thread Starter

I've got an 802.b wireless network here at home with a desktop hardwired to the D-Link router up in the office on the 2nd floor. I've got a laptop set up downstairs in the kitchen and the total straightline distance between the router and the laptop is approximately 45' or so. The signal only goes through 2 walls (or floor and ceiling combo) plus some furniture in the straightest line across an open air downstairs Living Room room.

The reason I'm describing the layout is that at best I get about a 40% Signal Strength and 40% Link Quality on the wireless laptop, but those numbers are also often in the teens and low 20's or the signal drops off completely.

Should I install a Wireless Repeater, and if so, how and where might I install it? I know nothing about repeaters.

Thanks.

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

Sometimes, depending on how the building is structured, it's important to carefully consider where you place the router, or you may get a lot of weak spots. Also, I would upgrade the router to 802.11g and see if that helps, and you can also try putting the router in a different area of your house.

If that doesn't work, buy a wireless signal booster (repeater).

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Thread Starter

skinnywhiteboy,

The problem with moving the router is that I can't move it very far or I'll have to figure out some sort of new wiring plan for the modem.

Does anyone know if the 802.11g has a stronger signal than the 802.11b?

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Thread Starter

Am I reading this description right in that an 802.11g wireless signal booster will only work with an 802.11g wireless router? It does say it will work with an 802.11b "client" device, but I've got an 802.11b wireless router. Am I out of luck without buying a new router?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Before you spring for the new router, you might look into hi-gain antennas, I've seen them recently for as little as $12. Of course, the exact make/model of your router would help in determining if you can use an external antenna. Does it have a removable antenna?

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Thread Starter

Yes, there is a 3" removable antennae on it. The router is a D-Link DI-514 4 port wireless router.

I'll look for one. Thanks.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you only have one wireless computer, a directional antenna may be all you need, and it'll provide the maximum signal strength.

8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Thread Starter

I talked to D-Link today and got some ideas on which ones should be compatible. Now I just have to find the best price.

Thanks.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/384132

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice