1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I need to find new drivers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mstieler, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mstieler

mstieler Thread Starter

Well, now that I've got my network issues fixed, not it's on to 2 more issues. One I posted already, which is more of an aggravation than a worry. When I'm running World of Warcraft, my CPU usage goes to 100%. I have no clue why, other than the possibility that since my initial HD crashed, and I installed Vista t a previously-external HD, could there be driver issues between my HD and the video/soundcards or motherboard?

If more info is needed, I can supply it. Thanks ahead of time.

2. mstieler

mstieler Thread Starter

Update: well, it appears its not just World of Warcraft that's doing it. I was browsing the web on Firefox, and when I watched a video or played a web-based game, I got the 100% usage again.

3. Callum_Dawson

Callum_Dawson

Could you give us some specifications on your computer model, CPU, RAM, video card, etc, please, that would help in solving the issue.

4. mstieler

mstieler Thread Starter

Compaq Presario SR1950NX
    Running Vista Home Premium (6.0, build 6002)
    AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4GHz
    2 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
    Sound card is integrated into motherboard (if I'm not mistaken)

If I'm not mistaken, this is the HD I swapped to, from the HD that was initially installed.

If you need more info, just ask and I'll give it to the best of my abilities.

5. mstieler

mstieler Thread Starter

My apologies. It appears the DirectX Diagnostic Tool didn't realize the model number may be different from what it thinks it is. The model has been updated to the proper one: Presario SR1950NX.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Make sure you have Service Packs 1 and 2 installed for Vista and all other updates. Keep visiting the Microsoft Update site until there are no more available updates. Verify SP2 is installed by going to the Control Panel and checking the System Properties. These updates and service packs need to be done first.

Once you do that then install the updated versions of the drivers.

NForce chipset drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_vista_15.23.html
    Geforce graphics drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_32bit_197.45_whql.html
    Realtek HD Audio drivers: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false (the fifth one down in blue)

7. mstieler

mstieler Thread Starter

I do have both service packs, and I know I recently installed the graphics drivers. Going to install the NForce & Realtek ones now.

8. mstieler

mstieler Thread Starter

Kay, so I've got both service packs, installed the 3 new drivers, and it's still doing the same.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Does it run OK though? 100% CPU usage during a game isn't unnecessarily unusual or a bad thing, games do tax the CPU and the rest of the system.

10. mstieler

mstieler Thread Starter

When I was running on XP (Media Center Edition, same computer setup, just different HD), there was no issue at all. I could be running WoW, Firefox, Vent, and Excel (among others) without issue at all.

The game does regularly disconnect though; that may be an internet issue or it could be something else entirely.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Does the new hard drive use a small SATA cable or a wide IDE cable?

How are connected to your router?

12. mstieler

mstieler Thread Starter

Wide cable, if I'm not mistaken, and wirelessly.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The disconnects could be due to a wireless connection, the high CPU usage could also be from the wireless card drivers. What wireless card do you have? Can you disable or remove it and go wired?

14. mstieler

mstieler Thread Starter

Unfortunately, wired is not an option. It's possible my drivers could be out of date for the wireless card. Device Manager is telling me it's a Texas Instruments 802.11g Wireless PCI Card; nothing more to it.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you look at the card itself, does it have any markings? Do you have the original box or the receipt from the card?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919088

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice