Do I need to install nero software with new

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pinkolive

external Sony DVD burner I got for Cmas? Or can I buy another program for making DVD's and still use the new burner? Reason I'm asking is that I have a Kodak digital camera that saves the movies recorded as .mov files and I don't think nero supports those. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated as I've never added hardware to my computer before!

You should be able to use ANY burning software with any drive, internal or external. The main two are Nero and Roxio EZ Cd Creator. There are also a plethora of other programs which will do burning jobs aswell, some require Nero to be installed aswell. Do you want to burn these .mov files so you can watch them on a DVD player? If so, make sure you have NeroVisionExpress installed with Nero (provided you have a copy of Nero you can download and install NVE from the Nero site for free). Otherwise you should be able to just burn the .mov files as a data DVD.

pinkolive

Sorry, I guess I should've been more specific with my intentions!

I'm looking for a video editing program that supports .mov files, and I don't think that Nero does...and this is the main reason I want a DVD burner....My hubby just bought me an external Sony DVD burner that comes with the Nero software for Cmas, and that's why I was wondering if I need to install the software it came with in order to get it burning on my computer or I can purchase the video editing program of my choice to use instead (i don't need a multi-media program either, just video editing!)

Does any of this make sense? LOL! Sorry if it doesn't...it's almost 1:30 am here!

Ah ok, so you just want to edit your .mov files like home movies? Easy, you *should* be able to do this with Windows Movie Maker which comes with XP, otherwise you can use any other video editing program you like. I for example use Adobe Premiere and then use Nero to burn my DVD's once they are done.

pinkolive

Unfortunately Windows Movie Maker doesn't support .mov files either! That's why I'm looking into just a video editing program...I don't really want to install the Nero because it seems like a lot of people have problems with the program when I do a Google search of it...And do I really need more than one program for burning DVD's? Doesn't Adobe Premiere burn DVD's for you?

No, you don't have to install Nero. And Nero 6 has very few problems. Nero 7 does. Nero is a general purpose burning application which is a must have for any burner. But no, it doesn't have to be installed and no it is not a movie editing program. Any other video editing software can be used. Adobe Premiere for example does burn directly to DVD but it may require Nero or other burning software to be installed. I am not sure about other video editing programs but I'd think they'd have similar capabilities.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online