1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I need to reinstall Office?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jtloganlaw, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtloganlaw

jtloganlaw Thread Starter

running Office 2000 Pro under Windows 2000 v. 5.00.2195 SP4.

Word occasionally closes with the message "Word has encountered a problem and needs to close" This is becoming more frequent (hourly).

Also, Word occasionally just stops running without closing, most recently when I clicked on the Save button to save a file. nothing was saved.

I use Word as my email editor in Outlook. sometimes when I try to reply to a message (or even when I try to open a message or compose a new message) I get an error box that says Word cannot be opened as my email editor, check to see if any dialog boxes are open in Word, blah, blah, blah. None are; sometimes Word isn't even open.

When this happens, I check Applications under Task Manager, it doesn't list Word as a program running or not responding, but when I check Processes, there is Winword.exe, hogging up to 99% of the CPU's attention.

it's getting worse. today, it has forced me to restart several times.

Before any of this happened, my wordmail in Outlook refused to use the same default font (Tahoma) I use in Word.

Should I reinstall Word, Outlook, or Office? If I do, which files do I need to move out of the way so they won't get overwritten? I have an extensive autocorrect list in Word, and I have modified the keyboard assignments a bunch. And of course, I have many mailboxes with stored mail that i don't want to lose (my outlook.pst is 281,200kb)

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Just start the Office setup program. Options will appear, among them an option to repair the current installation. None of your documents or work will be affected. This basically replaces all the files with fresh copies and checks registry entries, in effect, reinstalling over the top current installation.

If you don't scan regularly for malware, you probably ought to do a full scan. This sort of random and unrepeateable error can be caused by malware.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice