1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do i need to replace the fan????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cooma, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cooma

cooma Thread Starter

Hi......simple question i have a hp pav 8984 with a cd burner......sometimes when i use the burner the computer turns of for no apparent reason..the i have to wait a few hours before i can switch it back on.....but i've been thinking i dont hear the fan anymore and at the back it gets a bit hot....should i replace the fan???? probably a stupid question....but could be something totally different... :)

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Which fan?

If its the power supply fan, its essential. If you cook the power supply, the HP only replacements are very expensive, and standard ones usually do not fit.

3. jbcalg

jbcalg

definitely look at the power supply (voltages) and cooling (temperatures, fans)

download lavalys' Everest (for info on a whole lot other useful things as well) or SpeedFan

and for a low tech approach: leave the case side open and look whether the fans are all operating (look at the back of the power supply for exhaust instance)

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

As heat builds in the PS, the PS looses effieciency. This is probably why the system would have problems when you tried CD burning. The PS didn't have enough efficiency left to provide enough voltage to all your equipment, so the PC shut down..

HP and alot of other manufactuers are known to use power supplies that only cover the minimal power requirements in the first place. They're good quality power supplies, but don't supply any more power than needed. If you add more drives, or lose efficiency with what you have, you'd need a higher rated PS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/287167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice