1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I need to uninstall my old anti-virus program before installing a new one?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by rhinestones, Sep 22, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rhinestones

rhinestones Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario that is about 16 months old. I have the McAfee original anti-virus program that came installed on the computer. I want to install InoculateIt, which is a newer program, but don't know if I should uninstall McAfee before installing InoculateIt. And, does anyone know how long anti-virus software is good for??? Oh, and I have Windows 98. Thanks!

2. phobiussno

phobiussno

I would say uninstall mcaffee first...However, since that is preinstalled software by Compaq, I have no idea what may or may not have been modified...You may wish to contact them for proper and thorough removal...Update your virus definitions as often as the updates come out...Conservative estimates are that 2 new virii or variants are found per day depending on the source of information so play it safe..I've heard InoculateIt is good, but I haven't used yet...Thinking though...BOL

3. rhinestones

Thanks! I will contact Compaq I guess. My ability to update my old McAfee has expired, so I really should replace it as soon as possible. Appreciate the info!

4. Tx_Tim

Tx_Tim

I agree that you should remove the old virus engine before you install the new one. You really do not have to call compaq to see if they did anything funny to the software. Only time you want to call them is if you do any type of hardware upgrade.

5. rhinestones

Hi, I decided to remove the old antivirus program in the Add/Delete Programs. Then, did a file scan to find any lost files from McAfee - found two, deleted them, and installed InoculateIt. Seems to be working just fine! Thanks! Besides, didn't want to wait to hear from Compaq, it does take a while!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/37466