Do I need to upgrade my wireless adapter?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mulderator

I got a new Wireless G router for Christmas, but I am sure my laptops don't have wireless G adapters (both are Dell internals). I'm assuming I have to upgrade those to take advantage of the higher bandwith router, correct? If so, how do I do that? Can I get any internal adapter? Where is it located and how do I remove it and put in a new one?

Mulderator

BTW, I currently have Dell Wireless WLAN 1350 WLAN Mini-PCI Card. I'm not sure, but I don't think that is Wireless-G.

Someone more knowledgable than myself will reply shortly, but I THINK that G is backwards compatible with B. If you have a G router and a B card, it will work, but not at a faster speed....at least as far as I know.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can use your Dells with the new router, obviously at the slower 802.11b speeds. You can't upgrade the internal wireless LAN, but if you want the greater speed you can get a PCMCIA or USB connected 802.11g adapter for the laptops and disable the internal one.

Mulderator

Actually, the card I have is a Dell Wireless WLAN 1350 WLAN Mini-PCI Card and it describes it at Dell's site as a "(b/g)" card so it looks like it supports G. The status bar says its connected at 54 Mpbs. That's G speed, isn't it?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online