1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I really need Windows Server software?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by stranglehold, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stranglehold

stranglehold Thread Starter

I am thinking about upgrading our server at work and I am trying to put together some rough numbers for hardware and software to see if the project will get any support. One big ticket item is the operating system. In my environment, I can't see the benefit of something like Server 2003 rather than XP.

Our current network is composed of about 12 XP based pc's and one NT4.0 server. It was originally setup as a client server, but evolved to a peer to peer with the server being just a place to store data on drives in a RAID 1 configuration.

We have two primary applications that use shared data. One is Microsoft Access 2003 which will work just fine on peer to peer.

The other is Peachtree Complete Accounting. This is the one that depends on the structure of the network the most. Previous versions where compatible with NT 4.0, but the latest version of the software required Windows Server 2000 or 2003 for client server operation. But since it will also function in a peer to peer environment, we just changed the location of the data to one of the XP boxes.

All the pc's can access the internet through a SMC router that is connected to a satellite, so currently, we are in no way depending on the server for that.

What are the downsides for me if I just build a pc with raid drives and such, but go with XP rather than Server 2003? Should I consider Vista?

Budget is a definite concern. So I don't want to have to spend a lot on software if I don't have to. And, I don't have a lot of time to manage it either, so simpler is better too.

Any thoughts on a recommended processor and or board?
    I am thinking about a Dual AMD Opteron.

Thanks

2. stranglehold

Here is a short message from the Peachtree site.
    So I don't think there is any real advantage to one or the other.

3. stranglehold

Come on guys, I got more action on this topic on a reef keeping forum I visit. :)

I am leaning strongly towards an ASUS M2N-LR board and Opteron 1212 CPU with Win XP.

Any comments?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Note that XP can only support a maximum of 10 workgroup connections, so if you require more connections then that, you'll need a server O/S.

If it works well on the XP configuration, then I'd think it would continue to work, subject to the above limitation. :)

5. stranglehold

Thanks for pointing that out.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice