1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I repair or buy a new MacBook?

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by madeleine23, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. madeleine23

madeleine23 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a two year old MacBook Air (13") which now has bad liquid damage after I stupidly used it while cooking two nights ago. I have been quoted as NZ$899+VAT to replace the logic board/fix it. So after GST I may swell buy a brand new one as it would be only an extra hundred or two more or less. But I have a few questions...

1. Is this NZ$899+GST cost about right to replace a logic board? I am asking around different places for repair quotes. I have no insurance on it by the way. It seems like a hell of a lot of money thats all, but I have no knowledge of this area!

2. If I do end up buying a brand new one, does that mean I lose all the documents and packages on my broken laptop? I suppose I would with documents not on iCloud but what about packages like Microsoft Word/Excel etc which I bought about a year ago?

3. If I try sell the broken one for parts, can I somehow delete all my personal documents and data (stored passwords etc) beforehand or am I safer to just keep it/chuck it? I can't turn it back on so I'm not sure if this is possible but other people seem to do it...?

4. What would you do in my situation?

Thank you!

M x

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Not sure how much a new Air would be in your country , i'm in UK
    The logic board is probably one of the more expensive parts of the machine
    1. The air has not really been upgraded in last few years, https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/macbook-air-2018-3605337/ so you would be buying an older machine , you may want to look at the 12" macbook - again dont know prices in your country.
    I have no idea on costs to repair, but its good to get different quotes and ask them to also quote for coping your data onto a USB Stick
    2. You maybe able to get your data off the old machine, but you would need to discuss with a recovery company or PC/Mac repair shop on the cost
    3. same as 3
    4. If i had the money available I would buy a new machine, note you may need a USB adapter

3. tecknurd

tecknurd

Depending on the year of your MacBook Air, it's possible to take the data off. In older models, they used a gum stick sized SSD that connects to an M.2 connection. In order to get access to it, you will need to disassemble your MacBook Air. Then connect the SSD to an M.2 to USB. Connect it to a computer running Mac OS X.

If you are OK with dissembling your MacBook Air, ifixit has good tutorials. Don't wear synthetics and don't wear long sleeves. If you get access to the gum sized SSD, hold it by the edges.

Next time, cook without your computer beside you. Instead of reading the recipe from a computer, print out the recipe. Laser printing helps keep the text waterproof.

4. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

There is not enough information given to provide a real answer and, with Mac's, the real scoop is in looking up the serial number which is in very tiny, hard to read print on the back edge of the bottom. What is the serial number please?
    Or, go to EveryMac.com and enter it yourself then post what year and model you have:
    https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/
    Just last week, I had a MacBook Pro worth $975.00 (US) where a guy in Colorado replaced the GPU whith a 6 month warranty for $169 (US) and that was definitely worth repairing.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217036

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice