Do I want or need ios 15.x on my iphone 12s and ipad?

Tom Seeley

I’m getting the usual messages on my iPad and iPhone 12s that iOS 15.1 is now available! I’m running 14.x and I’m satisfied. So….

I read the thumbnail description today of what it does. I don’t do ANY of the things it says 15.x makes “better”! All I do on the iPad is email, texting family and friends, read Kindle books, surf the New York Times, etc., post msgs on “help” boards like this one, track my portfolio with one good app, and play one puzzle game. Ok, sometimes I do stream YouTube TV to keep from having to stand up and walk ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE ROOM 😱 😆 to turn on the big TV. Actually, it’s a cool way to watch two games at once! But I don’t even do that on the phone.

Should I install 15.x? I’ve heard that eventually older versions of software don’t get supported, but that may only be Windows. iOS seems to get updated so often I doubt I’d ever get left in the lurch, but I’d like advice please. If I really don’t do the fancy things the developers think I simply must have, why should I race out and install every incremental update they throw at me?

Couriant

James
I don't see any security updates with the update, though they have some security features for the Mail:

Privacy

• Mail Privacy Protection protects your privacy by preventing email senders from learning about your Mail activity, your IP address or whether you've opened their email
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212788

My phone is set to autoupdate and there some differences with the Maps app. It looks like it's trying to be more smooth/fluid.

For the most part it seems to be more fluff that isn't really needed but looks cool. Updating now is a preference. Since you are on version 14, I don't think you will have too much of an issue with your current apps not being supported.

TerryNet

Terry
Do not update to iOS 15.1 as long as iOS 14 is satisfactory for you. 15.1 still has problems. iOS 15.1.1 seems to be fairly solid, but I still advise to wait for another update if there is nothing in 15 that you need.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online