1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I want the updates?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ehbowen, May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ehbowen

ehbowen Thread Starter

I have two computers (soon to be 3) running Windows XP. I cannot upgrade them as they are needed for specialty video capture hardware (ATI All-In-Wonder) which will not function under Vista or later. All these machines are currently air-gapped and have no sensitive or personal information on them; however, I would like to connect them to my LAN to make it easier to transfer capture files to the editing computers. And I can't discount the possibility that I might like to do some retro gaming on them at some point.

Would you recommend that I update these machines through the Windows Update process? And, if so, what is the proper way to do this now that XP is well past end-of-life?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't say if your 2 computers are running Windows XP Home Edition or Professional or Media Center Edition, but if they have Service Pack 3(SP3) installed and were kept up-to-date, the last security updates and hotfixes for them were released in April 2014.

If you plan to do a clean install of Windows XP SP3 in a third computer, you're going to run into great difficulty with getting it up-to-date to April 2014.

If you're going to use them strictly for video-capturing and editing and don't need to get on the internet, having it out-of-date probably won't be a problem.

I've never done any file sharing or transferring with Windows XP, so someone else here who has will need to help you.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. ehbowen

ehbowen Thread Starter

Both of the present ones are running XP Pro 32 bit with SP3. The third system is still being built and should be delivered soon. These will be strictly capture systems with no personal info, although I may not be able to resist the temptation to run a few of the games I haven't played in ten years. I don't want them to be internet accessible, but if I could put them into a VLAN with no outside access which could only see the storage server and possibly the editing computers I probably would.

It sounds as if trying to update these systems to April 2014 specs wouldn't be much help; I saw the other thread about updates to WinXP through 2019 with a registry tweak and wondered if it would be worth doing. Sounds like probably not, but if someone thinks different then please chime in.

4. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    You will be need to install the NET Frameworks to make some programs run and some important updates to make the internet work well too. If you don't plan to use the internet I don't think that you may need to install the updates but would highly recommend them even if it's outdated. I just barely made a fresh install of Windows XP because I need to edit some videos and mainly Windows XP works best with it rather than the newer OS versions.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice