1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do I Want to Uninstall This Program?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by EagleClaw92, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EagleClaw92

EagleClaw92 Thread Starter

Computers, sometimes I just have no idea why something happens. Such as a program that has recently shown up on my computer that I didn't download & had never even thought about it. I had vaguely heard of this company, but thats it.

I have Symantec/Norton as my security program for anti-virus & all the other main stuff u have to worry about & it has done a pretty good job thru the years. I make a once yearly payment for this. I'm sure that real tech savvy folks can probably do other things to protect their computers that are probably free......but I'm not even close to there yet & recently paid for another year.

MY BOTTOM LINE QUESTION IS THIS: A program that is now on my computer......& I don't know how it got there is: McAfee Security Scan Plus. On the add or remove programs page of my computer it says the size is 12.07MB (I just added the size for info purposes).

When I booted up my computer today the icon for that site came up saying I needed to click on a button to resolve a few issues. I minimized it so I could type exactly what it said later, but for some reason, it is now gone. I'm almost sure if I rebooted my computer I could get that exact info again on what it says.

But should I just uninstall this site from the info I've stated here.....or should I just click on the button it says will resolve a few issues. Or would I need to reboot my computer to get exactly the info that comes up from McAfee Security Scan Plus. I've been wasting a lot of time on issues like this lately, and I hope this is the last one.

ANY REPLIES WOULD BE APPRECIATED THANKS

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I would get rid of both McAfee and Norton's.

But yes, do not run two or more AV programs at the same time.

3. renegade600

renegade600

you should not have two antiviruses installed at the same time. It can cause issues. You can uninstall McAfee. looks like you installed something that had mcafees included - did you recently update adobe flash?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The McAfee Security Scan Plus is just a crappy manual scanner that gets included in stuff like Java or Adobe products as a freebie unless you read and uncheck it as an option when installing them. It's not a real time antivirus program like your installed Norton/Symantec. Definitely uninstall it as its completely useless.

5. EagleClaw92

EagleClaw92 Thread Starter

THANKS FOR THE REPLY

Yes - I did recently update adobe flash. Sometimes when I boot up my computer adobe will be there asking me if I want to update it. I always do because I thought it was safe to do that & even though I have a very old sorta crappy computer - I think updating the adobe is a good thing to do?

THANKS FOR THE REPLY

I did as you folks advised and got rid of it.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes updating Adobe Flash or Reader is a good thing, just be sure to read each screen carefully and uncheck any freebies or extras they offer.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice