1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do laptops crash when they reboot close to the end of their battery power?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mr Davo, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Davo

Mr Davo Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

I have a broad question to ask regarding laptops running Windows 7 (and possibly by extension other versions of Windows) -

"Are laptops running Windows 7 known to crash (go to a recovery console) when they reboot close to the end of their battery power?"

I have a laptop that has been experiencing BIOS / SSD firmware issues, and I am now performing extensive testing on it in the form of automatically restarting it every 5 minutes. To achieve the 5 minute restarts I am employing a program called psshutdown, which I have written a batch script for, and set the batch script to run every five minutes after login through the Windows Task Scheduler.

So far the laptop has gone to a "recovery" screen on two occasions - on both of these occasions the recovery console has restored the computer back to the last System Restore Point. On both occasions the battery was very low. On one occasion the laptop was running from battery only, and on the other it was plugged into AC power (but the battery was severely depleted).

I am contemplating performing this test on a known "healthy" laptop to see if it behaves the same way, but thought it best to get some opinions before proceeding.

Any thoughts / contributions are appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo

2. TekTime

TekTime

In my experience dealing with many Windows 7 machines whose owners aren't too keen on charging
    batteries, I haven't seen a recovery console crash as you describe. However, I have seen laptops revert to the "resume.." menu after the laptop was restarted due to a drained battery. A recovery screen reboot would be indicative of a software/OS issue in most cases wouldn't it?

3. Mr Davo

Mr Davo Thread Starter

Hi TekTime,

Thanks very much for your valuable input. I don't have a great deal of experience with running laptops, so I will assume that a "System Restore" at the Recovery Console is definitely an OS / hardware issue. If your interested in seeing more results from my testing please have a look at this link (towards the bottom).

Kind Regards,

Davo

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1093118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice