1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do music cd's contain a malware program?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nine4dnine, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nine4dnine

nine4dnine Thread Starter

I have owned my hp pavillon notebook for about 8 months. My os is windows xp media center edition. On 2 seperate occasions, I have copied my music CD collection, (about 45 CD's) to my hard drive. Theres plenty of room for this. However, shortly after i copy the CD's, my computer begins to slow down drastically! It takes up to 10 minutes to boot up. Music and videos dont play. I cant go online. And if you click on any program, or try to play a game, you're just out of luck!.
    I have tried contacting my computers manufacturer, (HP) for a solution. Either they cant comprehend the nature of my problem, or they dont have an answer. I have even tried contacting microsoft. They wouldnt give me any free advice.
    So, I ended up formatting my hard drive, on both occasions. On one occasion, I tried rolling back my computer to an earlier date. But this is just a temporary solution, as the problem takes about a week to return. I've also tried deleting all my music files from my computer. But this doesnt help.
    The only thing i can figure, is that music CD's contain some type of malicious software, that affects your systems performance. I have a amd 3100+ processor, 100gb hard drive, 1.25gb RAM.
    I'd really like to back up all my CD's, to my hard drive. but now I fear having to go through another formatting session. Windows XP even has a folder for storing music. Why?
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Iceworx

Iceworx

If the music CD´s are burned, there is a possibility that whoever burned them may have had some sort of malware that attached itself.

You should always have an anti-virus, and a firewall enabled to ensure security of your system.

You are capable of scanning the contents of a CD with an anti-virus program such as AVG-Free, without having to move the files into your computer beforehand.
    Just go to "My Computer", Right click on the CD drive and there should be a scan option if a valid anti virus is active. You should also scan the files after having moved them to your music folder for reassurance.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/553084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice