Tech Support Guy banner

Do Not Call List - Blocked Again!

674 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  hewee 
#1 ·
I don't know if anyone else is following this story, but once again, some idiot judge has blocked the right of citizens to tell telemarketers not to call.

Federal Judge Won't Let FTC Share List With The FCC
http://www.kirotv.com/consumer/2535864/detail.html

Unwanted calls from telemarketers were supposed to have stopped last Wednesday.

That's when the Do Not Call Registry was supposed to take effect.

KIRO-7 Consumer Investigator Wayne Havrelly explains why many telemarketers are still making these infuriating calls.

The Do Not Call Registry has certainly proven that most of us don't like to be bothered at home by phone solicitors.

55 million have signed up for the list, but thanks to endless government red tape, it's not working.

Complaints about telemarketers haven't slowed down at all since new telemarketing rules went into effect at the beginning of October.

Last spring, the Federal Trade Commission decided to create a Do Not Call list to stop these annoying phone calls.

Lawyers quickly got involved and a judge determined the FTC didn't have the authority to enforce a Do Not Call list.

The house and senate slapped together legislation to make the Do Not Call list legal. The President quickly signed it into law.

Now a federal judge has decided all telemarketers can keep calling you because congresses new law is unconstitutional.

The judge says it restricts similar types of free speech. It allows politicians and charities to call you and ask for money but not the people selling time shares and light bulbs that last 50 years.

Now the Federal Communications Commission claims it can still enforce the new do not call telemarketing rules which went into effect October 1. But there's a huge problem, the Federal Trade Commission is the agency that has the Do Not Call list which probably has your name on it. Now that federal Judge won't let the FTC share the list with the FCC. So the FCC can't do anything.

The bottom line is that until this gets resolved, don't be surprised if telemarketers keep bothering you.

The lawyers, politicians, lobbyists and judges are all swarming over this issue.

Now it's all up to a federal appeals court to decide whether the do not call list is constitutional or not.
If I choose to not recieve some unsolicited phone calls over the phone line that I paid for, how unconstitutional about that?! I also reserve the right to not allow some people into my house, is that unconstitutional also? :mad:

#2 ·
Kinda hard to get big money to give up their power, isn't it!? :eek:

BTW
If I choose to not recieve some unsolicited phone calls over the phone line that I paid for, how unconstitutional about that?! I also reserve the right to not allow some people into my house, is that unconstitutional also?
Here is the argument I heard:
You can put up a "No Tresspassing" sign and keep everyone off your property.
You can not put up a "No Tresspassing, except for politicians and charities" sign.

That is the Telemarketers argument about what the law is supposedly doing.

#3 ·
Here is the argument I heard:
You can put up a "No Tresspassing" sign and keep everyone off your property.
You can not put up a "No Tresspassing, except for politicians and charities" sign.

That is the Telemarketers argument about what the law is supposedly doing.
I've heard something similar to that, and my response is, "Then don't let any unsolicited calls come over my line. If I want to donate to a charity or political figure, I'll track them down."

I doubt this issue is even about what is constitutional or not. The judges are getting pay-offs from big business.

#5 ·
Might just be a coincidence but I have not received even ONE phone call from telemarketers since the first...and I usually get at least 5 to 7 a day! :D

#6 ·
#7 ·
Originally posted by angelize56:
Might just be a coincidence but I have not received even ONE phone call from telemarketers since the first...and I usually get at least 5 to 7 a day! :D
Me either Angel. :D

Hope you are doing well.!!! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.