1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do not have XP OS CD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Photog girl, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Photog girl

Photog girl Thread Starter

My Hp mini did not come with a XP home edition OS CD.
    The windows files are so screwed up, I need to reinstall the OS.
    Best way to do this? I do not care if everything is wiped clean.
    Help........:eek:

2. UserBarZero

UserBarZero

If you bought it from hp then you should be able to get a install disc from their website.

http://www.hp.com/ put your model number in the search and find your mini, you might be able to get support though there.

3. Photog girl

Photog girl Thread Starter

It is approx. 2 yrs. old-no longer under warrantee. I purchased it at Costco, not from HP directly.
    I will try HP website. [it is actually a friend of mine & he was going to throw it away. I think it is salvageable]

4. UserBarZero

UserBarZero

I found some threads already on here that might help you via forum searching windows repair:
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/1030320-windows-xp-install-repair-option.html

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/909477-another-windows-xp-repair-install.html

According to those you need a xp install disc to do a repair install, best if sp3 disc I'm sure.

Exactly how bad is it? Is it virus rootkit full? Is it just undefragged~

This is what I wrote before doing a forum search:

Hum, you can probably do a 'repair install' that re-updates the windows files, I don't know how to do it though. Not sure if xp can do it I think it can though.

If you want to do that someone else will have to help you, lolz

I got infected with a virus once and I tried recopying windows files in, but eventually had to reinstall the OS clean..
    If you bought it they should have done that themselves..xO
    If it doesn't have any files you care about on it, then you can probably buy an xp disc somewhere (or windows 7) and reinstall the OS fully. Or save the files and do that anyway lol, might be best to have the real install disc with you.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    There should be a product number(P/N) or model number(M/N) on the HP sticker.

Once we can confirm the exact model name/model number netbook you have, there may be a recovery disk available for it here.

----------------------------------------------------------

Unless you already have one, you're going to need an external USB optical drive to insert the Windows XP CD and boot from.

Besides being more prone to hardware issues, one of the downsides of having is a netbook is no built-in optical drive.

----------------------------------------------------------

6. oshaileshmohan

oshaileshmohan

Download it from here.........(edited by moderator)

7. buffoon

buffoon

oshaileshmohan,

I've deleted the link from your above post. Please read the rules here and please do not supply advice like that again.

8. oshaileshmohan

oshaileshmohan

Its ok......cool :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030785

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice