Do NOT Like What I See!

LJFried

is it possible to turn off FOREVER the wallpaper which says "Like What You See? with many different nature scenes? It is an incredible nuisance. Thank you from this old Luddite

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
That's the Spotlight feature on the lack/log on screen. You can change it to Photo & it shouldn't show the 'like what you see'.
Start>Settings>Personalisations>Lockscreen>change Spotlight to Photo & then find a photo you like from your PC.

LJFried

thank you very much Goddess but I don't want to see any photos, just the "plain blue" wall paper which I see after I swipe out of the photos - did I explain that right?

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia

LJFried

you are very kind but I'm an old Luddite - I chose the plain blue on the "Background" section of Settings. I don't understand what lock screen is.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Background refers to Windows desktop whereas lockscreen refers to what you see on the screen asking you to log in.

LJFried

I guess it's too late for me to go back to DOS?? (LOL) You've been very generous, G-B.

For Background, I did choose the "plain blue" screen. For Lock Scree, it's giving me 3 options: (1) Window Spotlight, which seems like its those revolving nature scenes which I'm trying to get rid of; (2) Picture, which is showing 5 different nature scenes and I chose the least offensive of those; (3) Slide Show, which says choose albums for Sideshow, which I guess means picking photos I have added to my laptop.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Those are the default photos which show when Spotlight isn’t working well. Pictures should have a ‘Browse’ button underneath in order to find a favourite photo. Slideshow will allow you to choose a photo album of favourite photos.
I usually use Spotlight.

LJFried

Thanks again G-B. I managed to find a photo which is the least irritating - guess I'll have to live with it.

Speaking of irritating, when I open the computer for the very first time, a Yahoo home page appears. I don't want this and don't understand why it appears. I checked the Control Panel and Yahoo is not listed as being an installed program -- I certainly did not install it -- and Yahoo is not listed on the sidebar when I hit the Start button. Any way to get rid of Yahoo? Many thanks G-B.

Your spelling of the word "favourite" leads me to believe that you are British. Yes?

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Yes, I’m British. :)

Which browser is opening with Yahoo?
Try Settings>Sign in information>untick ‘use my sign in information to automatically finish setting up my device & reopen my apps after an update or restart’.

LJFried

Thank you again G-B. You're very kind. I use the Opera browser. I did what you suggested -- "untick," another British-ism instead of "uncheck!!" -- then turned laptop off but Yahoo still popped up when it re-opened. L

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
What Windows version are you running - 1903, 1909 or 2004?
Is this from a cold boot, boot from sleep or just a restart?
Is the Yahoo page set as your default Homepage?
Is the Browser open when you shut-down/sleep the PC?

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Check for Opera browser assistant under Task manager>startup tab, this seems to be the cause.
If this is listed then you can disable it.
Also under Opera’s settings check that the ‘Retain tabs from a previous session’ isn’t ticked.

LJFried

I bought the laptop exactly one week ago. I never set Yahoo for anything, was never asked about it - like I said I don't even see Yahoo listed on the "programs" part of Control Panel. If "cold boot" means when I first turn it on, first power up, then YES, that's the only time I see the Yahoo page. I'm using Windows 10 -- don't know what you mean by 1903, 1909, 204. Very sorry.

I do not know what Opera browser assistant is. Very sorry.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Cold boot refers to turning off the PC then turning it on again.
Is fast startup enabled? If so turn this off & cold boot.
Click start>run & type winver this will show which version of Windows you’re running.
Is Opera browser assistant running under the startup tab within task manager?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts