1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do not see E and F Drive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by yayagirl, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yayagirl

yayagirl Thread Starter

I have been having SERIOUS PROBLEMS, am not sure where it all first started. Anyways, I was first unable to answer pop up surveys from a site that I work for. It would just pop up, I would answer the questions, push enter and would just sit there. I have IE6, and have tried everything that I can find out there to address this problem. Then I lost my E drive (cd-rom), and then lost my F drive(cd-rw). Tried re-installing win98se, with no results, missing dll's and such. Tried upgrading to Winme, and still have not solved the issue. Although, I had disabled everything running in the background. Including anti-virus software. Upgrading did not solve this issue. Also, could only upgrade from DOS, as the Computer did not recognize the cdrom. HELP!

Here is what I have on my System Properties Device Manager:

Computer Properties Dialog:

10 SMC EZ Card 10/100 (smc1211TX)
    10 IRC Holder For PI Steering
    11 Creative SB Live! Value
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    14 Primary Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    14 Primary Bus Master IDE Controller (dual fifo)
    15 VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
    15 Secondary Bus Master IDE Controller (dual fifo)

Could this be a problem? How do I fix it!

Also, in the systems properties box it does say that A, C, D driver's are using MSDOS compatibility mode file system. Does this give you any clues?

I am at such a loss to where to go!

Your help is so much appreciated!

Yayagirl

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

There are different possibilites for this, including virus infection, but it sounds like you may have a noide entry in your registry. See the link below.

http://www.windows-help.net/techfiles/msdos-compatibility.html

From start, run regedit and click on Edit. Enter noide in the Find field and click Find.

Do the same for bad_ide

If an entry is found, right click on it and delete it.

Your motherboard drivers may be an issue here (VIA), to ensure installing the correct ones you need to know your motherboard model (or perhaps your PC brand and model will lead to the right ones).

3. brianF

brianF

See this article on the floppy disk controller
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q131690

Thinking about the other one.

think I would reboot the machine tapping the control key at boot before the windows loading message, boot the machine up in minimal or safe mode(never used winme) Go to device manager, select the bus mastering, and remove, reboot, let windows reinstall it.

Strange I can't remember ever seeing them label like that, generally via chipsets will call out via for both 14 and 15 ????

4. brianF

brianF

asked around, the primary is using generic drivers and the secondary is using the correct ones.

You may need to go to www.viatech.com and download the 4 in 1 drivers for your chipset and reinstall them

5. yayagirl

yayagirl Thread Starter

Here is the bad news guys...We had this system built for us, so there is no "Place" to go back to, since they are now out of business! This was a "bad taste in the mouth" experience. Beyond that... I have tried the 4in1drivers, and it did not resolve the issue. The other suggestions, I have tried removing the bus mastering, nothing!

If any one of you come up with any other ideas, let me know. And if not, should I wipe out the system and restart anew? And, if so, how do I go about this?

Off topic~It is so nice to have a place to come to, where there seems to be people wanting go geniunely help! Thanks so much!

Yayagirl

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Do you have any information on the motherboard? Even a BIOS ID string would help.

As Brian said, something's not right with that controller setup.

Do you have a Windows CD with a registration number (productkey)? You can always use a startup disk to get CD-rom support in "real mode".

Here's a thought, go to start and run msinfo32. Click on "Components" and "History"

Can you extract any information about the "Original" configuration Bus Master IDE, USB Universal Host Controllers. And the Primary and Secondary IDE drivers?

7. bestshotdude

bestshotdude

I ran into this same problem after installing a CD-R and went crazy trying to fix it. I finally backed up all the files I thought I needed and burned some cd's for others. Then, and this is my honest opinion, go ahead and reformat and reinstall Win98SE. WinME is so full of bugs and conflicts I used it a week and saw more blue screens than I can remember. I know this is a drastic step but if after reinstalling over your present configuration and doing all you have done hasn't helped I think the time wasted there would be put to better use by just starting from scratch.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice