1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do processors have to be the same on a dual slot 1 mobo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrbrownstone, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrbrownstone

mrbrownstone Thread Starter

I am thinking of buying a dual slot 1 motherboard such as this from ebay, to make use of the slot 1 p3s and Sdram i've got lying around. What I don't know, however is whether the two processors have to be the same; e.g. Can I use a 700mhz and a 550mhz processor together (I know the fsbs have to be the same)?

Thanks in advance
    mrbrownstone (y)

2. brite750

brite750

yes they have to be the same speed and type

3. mrbrownstone

mrbrownstone Thread Starter

OK. Thanks for your quick reply. I better go hunting for another 550mhz Katmai :eek:

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

With those older boards / cpus, I believe they need to be the same stepping as well if you want it to work correctly. Newer boards do not require the same stepping; just the same cpu speed and type.

5. brite750

brite750

I know, I know what stepping is :D but for those of us that dont know....not me you understand....;)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/497996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice