1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do these componets work together?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MaryWells, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MaryWells

MaryWells Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I have many componets including a seasonic power supply, 8800gts, excellent case, etc., but want to upgrade some and get rid of my motherboard, ram, and CPU. Here are some components I want to add to my other componets that are all fairly new:

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA1065 - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148069

ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131196

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80580Q9300 - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115043

Do any of you guys have an comments to share with a girl who needs some advice on if these will work together.?

Hugs,

Mary

2. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

Yes, that memory is listed as working with that motherboard on the crucial site and the core 2 quad will work so you're good. Just make sure that board will fit in your case.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

4. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

Well that list has the 9450 and 9550, which are based on the same design. Plus in its specs it says it is compatible with the new 45nm CPUS. That's what i was going for, but you're right it doesn't directly list the 9300.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is the cpu support list. Your cpu is NOT listed. You can check to see if there are any bios updates that support that cpu however the board would need to be flashed to that bios before you pw ON.
    CPU support list
    When the egg was a much smaller company, they would often flash the bios to the updated one if the board you were ordering needed a bios flash to work with the cpu you were ordering. I do not know if they do that now.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

There is a later BIOS update listed (Ver. 1012 released 04/03/2008 that states "Support new CPUs", but they don't say which processors the update supports.

Maybe it's too simple, but it seems to me that manufacturers should update their supported processor list as soon as the updated BIOS is posted so the prospective purchaser knows if the processor they intend to purchase is supported.

7. DaChew

DaChew

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115029

I would just save money and go with dual core, even with the newer stepping the quads get too hot for my taste when trying to use stock cooling, as it is your excellent case may be pressed to handle the extra heat of your upgrade. If you need quad core for [email protected] or apps like dvdrebuilder, then buy a custom high quality HSF

8. MaryWells

MaryWells Thread Starter

Thanks so far guys, would the P5e be a better board if I stay with the quad. I kind of like that board also..... Or even the e8400 CPU, will it work with either board and this memory?

Hugs,

Mary

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

I didn't see any specs listed for your chassis, but if the chassis has good thermal design none of the quad cores should present much of a problem with the stock cooler if the processor is not overclocked. Personally, I have not seen a problem with quad core cooling in a chassis with good thermal design.

A chassis with good thermal design would have at least a 120mm exhaust fan, a front intake fan or fans equal to, or greater than 120mm, a side air vent for video card cooling, and an air guide for processor cooling.

10. DaChew

DaChew

Most of the people I know use premium cooling, heavy multi-threaded applications and have given up on even trying to overclock their quad cores, and some even turning off a thread or two.

Intel is just now getting that part right for quad cores

You are aware that they lowered the multiplier when they released the quad core?

11. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

I never had any heat problems with the Q6600 fully loaded with Orthos and Folding at home. Stock cooling. The temp never went above an unacceptable range, I think it maxed around 52C

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

E8400 definitely works with that board, it is puzzling that 2 Yorkfield cpu'sare listed for that board and not the 9300? Sounds like a mistake to me.

13. DaChew

DaChew

coretemp showed most at mid 60's with B stepping and just slightly lower with the G stepping

14. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

Did you observe that temp?

15. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

That's what I was thinking.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!