Do USB NFC readers plugged to computers work with Yubikey?

ams232

I wonder if USB NFC readers work with Yubikey, such as this one:
KKmoon NFC ACR122U RFID Contactless Smart Reader & Writer/USB + SDK + IC Card
My idea is to plug this NFC reader to my PC or Mac then two-factor authenticate by hovering the Yibikey over the NFC reader.
If this works, you may use a single NFC Yubikey that you'd always carry with you to authenticate on all your devices (phones and computers) without having to plug a USB Yubikey which you may forget to unplug (imagine a hacker easily resets the password on your computer > gets your passwords from keychain or passwords.google.com and authenticates with the yubikey).
Any help much appreciated
nfc usb reader.jpg

Last edited:
I keep my Yubikey on my key chain, which also has my house key and car keys. Can't go anywhere without that keychain, so the chances are minimal that I left the Yubikey plugged in.

That said, I think NFC is a standard, and any product that claims to work as NFC products will work.

ams232

I keep my Yubikey on my key chain, which also has my house key and car keys. Can't go anywhere without that keychain, so the chances are minimal that I left the Yubikey plugged in.

That said, I think NFC is a standard, and any product that claims to work as NFC products will work.
You're probably right, but some folks I asked said they don't know. I'll find out and I'll post my findings here.
Thanks for your answer;)

ams232

I got an answer from Youbikey themselves:

Lastpass isn't supported over NFC in Windows 10 using an USB NFC reader.
Signing in to a Microsoft account over NFC will work, but not in all cases.

Here's their answer:

Lastpass uses Yubico OTP, which isn't supported natively (i.e. without add-on software) over NFC in macOS and Windows. If you were able to find or develop an app that can "grab" the needed OTP from the YubiKey over NFC, it might work, but I am not aware of any apps like this that already exist for these operating systems.

Signing in to a Microsoft account over NFC will work, but not in all cases.

Using FIDO2 passwordless sign-in should work over NFC in Windows 10 1809 and newer, but not in macOS. You can see this in action starting ~2:05 in the video on https://www.yubico.com/works-with-yubikey/catalog/microsoft-accounts/.

For signing in using OATH-TOTP, AKA authenticator app codes (https://support.yubico.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013789259), you should be able to use NFC on both Windows and macOS, but you will need to configure Yubico Authenticator to use your NFC reader. To do this:

Click the triple-dot button in the YA app

Under Application, click the arrow to expand Interface

Under Interface, select CCID with custom reader

Under Connected readers, you should see an option for your NFC reader

For instance, for my HID OMNIKEY 5022 CL, I see the option HID Global OMNIKEY 5022 Smart Card Reader

Select the option for your reader, then click Use as filter, then Apply

Upon returning to the main screen, you should now be able to scan your YubiKey with your reader to access your one-time codes

Similar to FIDO2 passwordless with a Microsoft account, signing in to Google using NFC will work on Windows 10 (1809 or newer), but not macOS. This is presumably due to the OS-level support for WebAuthn (the underlying security protocol) that exists in Windows 10 1809 and newer, but not in macOS.

Although we don't officially endorse any NFC reader, we have had the best experience with the HID OMNIKEY 5022 CL. It appears that the ACR122U has a number of manufacturers, and we've seen variance in its functionality from unit to unit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online