1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do you belive?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by cnelson04, Mar 31, 2004.

?

Do you belive in aliens?

1. No.

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. Yes.

18 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Depens..

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
Advertisement
  1. cnelson04

cnelson04 Thread Starter

Do you belive in aleins?

2. valley

valley

3. barfly

barfly

Voted yes, but do I think that aliens live within comunicatable distance? no.

space is so very big and so long lasting, that any aliens would have to live within a finate distance and time. Which drastically cuts down our chance of finding it.

4. izme

izme

Absolutely

It is so naive of a feeling for me to say otherwise

The Universe is so vast and we are barely Understanding it all.

And I feel it is selfish to think we are the only one's

This is where Science and religion conflict

I trully believe we are not alone in the Cosmo's

But that is just my speculation.

Perhaps someday we will find out the truth of others out there.

Just too close minded of a way of thinking for me to reason with, to say that we are alone! That would even make less sense!

5. flyeater

flyeater

Define what constitutes an "alien".
    If we find microbes on mars will that meet the definition?
    Consider this:
    Microbiologists and geologists have come to realize that some caves are literally being "eaten" to larger sizes all the time.
    A microbe living in the rock is consuming pure magnesium. This microbe's by-product is hydrochloric acid. Other microbes consume the hydrochloric acid along with turning the rock into gypsum they expel sulfuric acid.
    These are colonies of microbes so large you can see them with the naked eye. Each feeds off of by-products of another microbe. None of them need sunlight, oxygen or water.
    Living things existing off of pure elements.
    Life may be far more abundant in the universe then anyone can imagine.
    You should also consider if you would recognize transmundane life?
    Chances of an "alien" having any kind of "form" that we could recognize might be pretty slim.

Here's a link to info on rock eating microbes.
    I found it not only interesting but thought provoking.
    Remember that old saw about a tornado going through a scrap yard and by chance causing a 747 to be built? Turns out the microbes may not have needed the tornado.

6. jimi

jimi

believe:confused: i have proof, and as you can see not very intelligent looking are they:D :D :D :eek: :eek: ;)

[​IMG]

i sure chris will be edit my posts again soon:(

Attached Files:

7. izme

izme

I trully believe there are smart beings on other planets
    either more or less advanced than us.

As far as microbes ect. that is a gimme

8. houseworksux

houseworksux

9. barfly

barfly

Are the microbes or less advanced than us?:eek:

10. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn

This thread may be of some reference/discussion:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113806

Do aliens exist? I do believe that there is likely life out there in some form. But I find the odds of intelligent life being out there (IE, more than your common animal) to be extremely low to near unlikely.

11. izme

izme

how do we know?

there is as many stars to the naked eye as grains of sand on every beach and desert in the world!

I honestly cannot believe that we are the only intelligent beings, it just does not sound logical what so ever to me! ;)

12. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn

Well I'm not going to argue this type of debate again like I did in that thread. If you want my view, it is very well laid out throughout that thread.

But I will stress one point as I did in that thread...

We DO NOT know if life exists elsewhere. We can estimate, do statistics, etc; all we want. But we DO NOT know.

Following logic, if we do not know if life (even the most simplistic) even exists at all, then we do not know if intelligent life exists.

Obviously no one "knows" for sure, but you can take facts to back your opinion. The facts are barely there to back life on other planets, let alone intelligent life.

Using such logic that has been and will likely be displayed in this thread, I could just as much say that there is a banana somewhere out there in the world that will grow wings and fly; and that statement holds as much value as the arguments for life elsewhere.

13. izme

izme

well with the vastness of space that we cannot even fathom
    I do not feel comfortable believing that we are the only one's
    it seems most logical to me

one planet out of zillions out there and we are the only intelligent life? that is too far fetched for me or any person that can even come close to understanding the vastness of the cosmo's

14. Big-K

Big-K

Here's my bit:

Yes, theres aliens. Want proof?

Canada.

Sorry, i was just watching south park. 'spect ther'll be a few complaints about that last episode.

But on...think about it. Theres what, 6 sextillion stars(heard that on the radio, joke, lol, only number i thought of), anyways. Most of those have to have a solar system of some kind, or at least alot. Your telling me that out of 6 sextillion solar systems, multiply that times 9 folks, theres no life on any of those planets? Tough luck. Yer wrong.

Sorry, weird logic. And im probably wrong on alot of it too:D

15. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn

You are wrong.

You say that every star has 9 planets (or roughly to that affect, even though your sort of joking around; or should perhaps lay off the meds).

It is not such. There are more stars without any planets than there are stars with planets. And it is not proportional.

And for the ones that do have a planet (or more than one planet), the appropriate conditions for life are even less.

Yes, life has been found to exist at certain extremes prior thought just impossible for life. But there are certain extremes that life cannot survive in, because on the chemistry side of it, certain high temperatures will break the chemicals (force reactions) or certain low temperatures will freeze chemical reactions (dependant for life; no reaction, no life). And the number of planets in the universe that fall in the range that could be possible for life is yet even smaller.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice