1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do you need a new partition to dual boot windows?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Anasttin, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anasttin

Anasttin Thread Starter

Hi,

I have 4 hard drives on my computer and want to have the option of dual booting into Windows 8 (which is my current operating system) and also Windows 10 which I plan to install.

Someone told me that I can't just install the Windows 10 on one of the other drives, and have to create a separate partition for it on one of my existing drives.

That scares me because I have data on all 4 of my drives and would feel much better about installing Windows 10 on one of the existing drives without creating a separate partition because I know creating partitions can destroy all data on drives in an instant.

Does anyone know if I have to have a separate partition or what the best way forward would be for me?

Thanks,

Ana

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Yes you can....this is called multi-booting. Dual booting is more then 1 OS on the same HDD. While multi- booting is have a single OS on separate HDD's. I do this all the time.

The key to multi booting is; first power down, then disconnect all cables from the C drive, install new HDD and connect power/data cables, power up, insert install media and then reboot and follow normal OS install procedures.

3. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

If you want to use one of the other HDD's that has data on it....you will need to create a new partition for the OS to be installed on. Like you said, if something should go wrong later on and the chances of the whole drive being lost is very possible. It's why I recommend using a new clean HDD.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214453

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice