1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do you really need a case fan?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fabiogump, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fabiogump

Fabiogump Thread Starter

okay sounds like a stupid question, but I found this to be rather odd. I was working on another problem with a computer, I ended up having to open the case to fix the problem.

To my amazement I opened the case up and there is not one case fan in the computer. The only thing that is cooling it is the fan in the power supply and the CPU fan . I'm kind of thankfull I put it on a flat, elevated surface to give it more ventalation(has a fan vent on the bottom).

I think I'll eventually get around to putting a few fans in this one, But I'm curious to see anyone else has found this on a computer? They got the computer from a computer show, so it's not a name brand.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I have 3 no names with just the power supply and cpu fan....running celerons 800 with only one hard drive and a cdrom....nothing fancy....but they run a cool 40ish C.........

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The operating temperature is the key to knowing if you need extra cooling fans. I've seen lots of systems with just the P/S and processor fans, and this one I'm using has a three case fans, and fans on the processor, graphics board, and of course, the P/S. I just picked up some CoolerMaster fans with temperature sensors to cut down the noise a little. :)

4. flyeater

flyeater

The local company that my employer use to buy from builds all his PCs that way. IMHO it's asking for trouble. One PC had the power supply fan fail. Not suprising since I could see it was a cheapo power supply. The real problem was that once that sole fan failed the hard drive overheated. The hard drive overheated because the cheapo case had the hard drive mounted on top of the power supply. Really stupid design. Fans are inexpensive. about $5 USD. Course that does you no good if the p.o.s. case has no place to mount it or you have no place to power it from. I have on this PC 4 fans not counting cpu or the power supplies 2. May I recommend filters for intakes as well. Easier to clean a filter than the interior of a case. but you don't have to take my word for it. See here

5. DudleyDoRite

DudleyDoRite

my PII doesnt' even have a cpu fan, do I need one? I only have the P/S fan, but I run with the side cover off all the time. How do I measure cpu temp?

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Check in your bios setup....may be under cpu info or PC Health info.....

7. plschwartz

plschwartz

As I remember the first chip I had a heatsink on was a 486. First fan on a K5. Modern chips produce a lot of heat and on an increasingly small die surface area (see http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20020916/index.html ) I dont have a case fan for my K6-2 500, but certainly do for my athlonxp 1800
    I would guess the case fan need starts above 1 gig.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

If its an AMD it should definitely have a case fan, Pentium's generally don't run as hot and rarely need one, but p/s, cpu, and video cards are more important. If you overclock or have a small case then yes you should have one. I personally like large cases with lots of vents so i find case fans not so important.

It's not uncommon to see a PII or early Celerons without a fan, but they usually have a huge heatsink to compensate for this and/or a case fan.

9. flyeater

flyeater

Perhaps I should have mentioned the PC I had trouble with was a PIII 450. A $5 case fan & $10-$15 on a better case woulda saved that Hard drive.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112713