1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Do you think my laptop is infected?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by VistaMachine, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VistaMachine

VistaMachine Thread Starter

Yesterday I was online playing Runescape:eek:(I know such a old game, but I was bored so I decided to play it) and all the sudden my computer just froze. I couldn't close my browser, or even open task manager to end the program or anything. After that I had to manually power off the computer just to get back to the desktop. Once I arrived at the desktop the computer froze again and I could even move my mouse. I tried starting it in safe mode and it started but as soon as I clicked on Firefox it froze again. Really mad at it I shut it off and let it sit for about three hours while I attempted to cool myself down. I don't really know squat about computers so when I have a problems I blow it out of proportion, I need to work on that.:eek:

After I had cooled off a little I tried turning the computer back on and everything was running good. But then the screen went to a blue screen and shut off. When I turned it back on I ran a diagnostic test by pressing I think it was F5 as commanded, it was a test called like March B/March SB or something like that was running on the blue screen. When the test ended after about a hour it gave me some error codes, I don't know if these mean anything to you guys but here are the error codes I received last night after the test.

Error Codes:
    2000-0142 (This code had something to do with the hard drive it said) it said status 70 after the error.
    3600:0749
    OFOO:1378 O65D
    There might have been more but I am not sure.

I told one of my friends about my issue and he said he would just wipe the drive and start fresh, that's what he does when he gets viruses. I wouldn't mind having my Hard Drive wiped except I never received the OS disc from Dell when I bought my laptop used and refurbished so I would have to buy a whole other OS. Also I would prefer to not wipe the Drive if I didn't have to, I have a lot of information and programs which I don't have backed up (I know another stupid mistake).

This morning my laptop seems to be running good, a little slower than usual but at least I can get online to try and get some help. I am really concerned I have a virus, I ran a virus scan and it came back all clear but maybe there is something I didn't do. I never have downloaded illegal software or gone to adult sites or anything like that. I don't even have music on my computer. I use it strictly for school homework and periodically playing Runescape and watching some YouTube videos. I don't open any emails on this laptop.

Do you guys think I have a virus? If so how can I get rid of it. I know very little about computers but will try and give you guys whatever information I can. I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit. I also have Microsoft Security Essentials downloaded.

My families desktop just got out of the shop with over 900 viruses and I don't want to have to send my laptop in if I don't have to. It took two months for them to fix my families desktop, I could not bare to go without my laptop for two months.

Please Help this Noob Out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice