1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.doc is not valid win32 application

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Pawgy, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pawgy

Pawgy Thread Starter

I have read many replys to this problem and none has corrected. mine.
    When I click on a .doc file corel word perfect 8 will not open the file and I get the error message stated. If i go to corel wp8,open it and then open the file it opens it ok.
    The Icon next to the .doc file is not the wp8 Pen icon. It is a tablet.
    I have gone to windows explore. tools, and fplder options ,file types and the wp8 pen icon is shown for .doc files. i have reinstalled wp8. I have used open with and selected wp8 and always get the error message stated.
    Please give me an idea????

2. Sponsor

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

A .doc file is normally associated with Microsoft Word (the icon for this is a "word" icon with a "W" on it -- not the "tablet" which is Wordpad.

If you right click on these .doc files and select the Properties > "change" tab, is Microsoft Word among the choices? Do you have it on your computer? If you browse to WordPerfect and select that, will it open? You should then be able make WP the default from within that "change" interface -- though I have not tried it.

WordPerfect does have the capacity to convert and open .doc files -- so this is why you can open it from within the WordPerfect application.

Actually, I did just try it, and it worked.

4. Pawgy

Pawgy Thread Starter

under file types in windows explorer the pen icon is shown for .doc files.
    the icon that shows on these .doc files is a small tablet with a red A in the corner.
    On my old computer all my .doc files would open with my corel wp8 and would show the pen icon. corel wp8 is all I have installed on my computers.

sorry i did not read everything. No it will not open if i right click and select wp8. I get the error message.

when i right click and select properties ,change it shows the corewp8 pen icon to open with.

5. Pawgy

Pawgy Thread Starter

correction . on my old computer all wp8 files open with a .wpd extension.
    all word pad files open with a .doc extension and
    all notepad files open with a .txt extension.
    thats what i now have this computers file extensions set for.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well I don't know why your .doc files cannot be opened in WP8 from the right click menu, although my experiment was with WordPerfect 11

But as an experiment try renaming one of the .doc extensions to .rtf and see if it will open in WordPerfect from the right click > "open with" menu for WordPerfect.

Also, I recall having to deal with this when I first installed SP2 on my Desktop:

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=883090

7. Pawgy

Pawgy Thread Starter

thanks very much for your replys.
    here is where i am now.
    1. All word pad files are .doc. After a registry change, see text, I got this from a google search, I am now able to open all .doc files with wordpad. I don't like the warnings but at least wordpad now works as it should.

Method 2: Modify the registry
    Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

Warning This workaround may make your computer or your network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.

On a Windows XP SP2-based computer, you can add an EnableLegacyConverters registry entry that has a DWORD value of 1. To do this, follow these steps.

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    2. Locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Wordpad
    3. Right-click Wordpad, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    4. Type EnableLegacyConverters, and then press ENTER to name the new entry.
    5. Right-click EnableLegacyConverters, and then click Modify.
    6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
    When you double-click the .rtf file that you are trying to open, WordPad starts. After you have finished using the RTF converter, we recommend that you turn off the EnableLegacyConverters registry entry. To do this, follow these steps:

1. In Registry Editor, right-click EnableLegacyConverters, and then click Modify.
    2. In the Value data box, type 0 to turn off the .rtf conversion, and then click OK.
    3. Quit Registry Editor.

Why do they suggest I turn off the (EnableLegacyConverters)???? If I do then word pad does not operate the way it should.

2. All notepad files are .tex and they run as they should.

3. All Corel word perfect 8 files are .wpd. They do not work as they should.
    If i type a memo in wp8 and save to my documents file I can not open it =from my documents. i must go back to wp8 and select open. find the file in my documents and open it from wp8. Also when i save the wp8 pen icon never shows. If I go to Explor, tools,, folder options ,file trpes and scroll to .wpd the pen icon is shown and it shows ,,,open with word perfect 8.

Maybe corel word perfect 8 does not work with Windows xp ser.pk2

Again, thanks

Pawgy

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Actually I don't think WP8 will work with any version of XP. The only way I could see it running is if used on an Update of some older OS to XP, which should bring with it all kinds of more serious problems anyway.
    I have used every version since 5.0 WP and I believe that WP9 and I know 10 were the first versions to actually read Ms Word docs anyway. WP9 worked with XP but not really well and there were huge service packs for it to run right. I doubt WP8 ever read Ms Word docs.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

That was the link I posted previously; as for the rest, I think Rich-M is probably right.

They do not tell you to turn off "enablelegacyconverters", they are giving you instructions to enable it, since it was disabled in the SP2 update. There is evidently a security vulnerabilty in having them enabled. I think it is an excess of caution.

10. Pawgy

Pawgy Thread Starter

Thanks Rolling. Your right. It was your link that got the registry fix. I have done so much searching I forgot where i got what. I also appreciate your "excess caution" comment. it makes me much more comfortable with having it enabled.

Also thanks rich-m. I dont understand why dell put a trial version of corel wp10 on my system if it does not work with XP. i did not want to buy it so i installed my wp8 from my old system. Now I have given up completetly and am purchasing a microsoft works 8 program. I hope i have better luck with it.

I really appreciate all your comments.

regards
    Pawgy

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're welcome -- I've had it enabled from the git-go, but I'm not nearly as paranoid of getting infected as many.

Never had a problem just doing the most critical updates, running AVG and the Windows firewall -- and knowing what not to install or download or open.

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

Somehow we failed to communicate here WP10 is definitely for XP, but it's a little od as a version now.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!