1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Docking station CD-ROM drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lcswoosh05, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lcswoosh05

lcswoosh05 Thread Starter

For some reason my CD-ROM doesn't want to work it seems like the drivers are installed but it gives an exclamation mark. I tried all sort of things like installing it and reinstalling it and I tried getting updates from Microsoft Updates. Also I tried getting it from Sony.com but it seems that since my notebook was made for XP it doesn't have any drivers for Vista. So I will have to find them myself somehow. I have Windows Vista Home Basic. My notebook is the Sony PCG-R505ESP. I really need help on this please since if I don't make my CD-ROM work then I can't install any programs that uses a CD.

I can say that Win XP and 2000 has no problem with the CD-ROM only Vista has this problem but it might actualy be the driver but I don't know.

On the device manager it says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I also looked to see if there is any filters on the regedit but there wasn't any so that is strange.

This is the model of my CD-ROM

"Sony i.LINK CD-RW DVD-ROM Drive IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device"

Just to let you guys know that my notebook is a docking system so the CD-ROM is attached to the dock.

Everything else seems to work perfectly fine but just the CD-ROM doesn't work at all.

Thank You​

2. lcswoosh05

I do know that when I talked to someone they said it was just the driver is not the version that the CD-ROM normaly works on meaning I might have to put the driver that comes with XP. The driver on Vista might be newer than the XP one so it doesn't work right since normaly my notebook came with XP.

But my questions is where can I get the XP driver?

3. lcswoosh05

The model is PCGA-DSM51 for the docking station.

Here are some other stuff it says on the docking station
    CD-RW/DVD docking station
    DC 19.5V

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice