1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

docking station/usb ports

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by valis, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. valis

valis Moderator Thread Starter

I have a client that has a hp laptop and accompanying docking station. The usb ports on the docking station suddenly stopped working. I replaced the docking station with a brand new one, worked for about 2 weeks, then crapped out again. While in the docking station, the hp usb ports work fine, only the usb ports on the docking station are out of order.

JohnWill gave me a usb hack about a year ago, and I ran that, and while it then recognized the the 'new hardware', it stated I had to reboot; rebooted, and nothing showed up.

Any ideas? The hardware is not local, but if push comes to shove I can get the make and model of it.

v

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Is the docking station also HP or one of these all in one units? What is being connected to the docking station? Is this unit that is connected to the docking station also being connected directly to the PC? Maybe the periphrial unit is causing some kind of feedback blowing the ports and this unit isn't being plugged directly into the laptop? Could it be as simple as the USB plug connects in correctly to the laptop because the USB ports aren't recessed and the cords don't hit on anything but in the docking station it does not fit "quite right" (I had an IBM with front USB ports but I could not use half of my cables in the front due to the fact the plastic blocked alot of my USB plugs)?

3. valis

1. Also hp, designed specificlly for this model; it's a pretty high end model.
    2. A lexmark printer and a dell pda
    3. No, because, remember, it USED to work in teh docking station. Something, somewhere, is causing this to occur. Dunno why. As he's the president of one of the operating companies, I'd like to fix it. But then I'd have to attribute it to stumped techy, and he would look at me funny. :)

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

With HP and their true docking stations I normally just see it plug in and intialize. You are 100% sure he is docking it all the way right? Does he use other periphrials connected to the docking station like the ethernet, video, and keyboard and mouse. I find HP's sometimes you have to undock and redock sometimes for them to work properly if they don't dock correctly the first time. If he is using wireless and uses no other periphrials make sure to have him look at the battery icon on the lower right and ensure its docked correctly.

If he uses and external video source and that works and USB doesn't theres not much you can check at all short of replacing the unit again.

Once question... when this stops working does he just hook the PDA and printer into his laptop? Does it work just peachy there?

The only other thought is check the bottom of the laptop to see if he perhaps didn't bend a few pins on the bottom connector where it presses into the docking station. Though not as common I have seen one time where part of the connector chipped and the person could no longer dock it at all.

5. valis

100% sure all that is going into that docking station (usb wise) is the printer and the Dell pda. There IS a mouse and keyboard, but those are both ps2 style.

Yes, both devices work fine in teh laptop.

I visually checked the connector, could see nothing wrong, and that was two weeks ago prior to ordering a replacement docking station. The thing that gets me is that it worked for about 2 weeks, and then crapped out again. It makes one wonder.

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Yeah really not much can be troubleshot with these kinds of docking stations as its all hardware pass through. No extra drivers loaded, works out of the box pluged in.

Possible surge and the docking station isn't on a protector?

7. valis

nope, all on a protector. UPS, too. Told you this dood is a president...He gets all the perks. Now to just convince him that non-functioning usb ports are a perk.

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Tell him that those are just for show so he can have bragging rights and say "I have 6 USB ports and you only have 4."

9. valis

heh......when he calls, I'm a-routing him to you.......:)

10. valis

did you check out htat linkedin, btw?

11. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Whats a linkedin?

Ummm don't send him to me I get enough calls! I am thinking its a bad unit from the sounds of it. The fact that the printer has not fired one of his laptop ports makes me think theres no feedback causing it. Since he has a laptop on a UPS (a little redundant?) I don't see there being a power problem.

Really has to be the docking station itself.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Is the client using the correct power adapter for the docking station? Some of the new HP computers require a different power adapter than is used for the actual laptop. Older models used the same adapter for both the dock and the laptop.

13. valis

That I don't know. I will have to check that. My understanding is that the laptop gets it's juice from the docking station, so all should be cool htere, but I will still check it.

14. valis

LinkedIn is just like monster, only a bit more so. You enter your name and fields, and all the people you know, and then you are linked to all the people THEY know, etc etc.....sort of like monster on steroids......if you do join, pm your name and I will send you and invite to MY network, and we can get the ball rolling.

15. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

The one thing I noticed on the HP docking stations we have here is the A/C adapter jacks are different sizes between the laptops and the docking stations making it so you can't interchange them at all. IMHO thats just wrong I think its them wanting to get an extra buck out of you if an a/c adapter goes on one you can't live without it instead of hobeling along one one blowing.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/498590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice