1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Docking Station

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by westone, Dec 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. westone

westone Thread Starter

File Transfer - Help Wanted

It will be from the old computer running Windows XP to a new computer running Windows 7.

The old computer has files which I have accumulated over a number of years, it is a mixture of those used rarely, used frequently and junk.

The chances are some of the files will never be used again, but they just might be wanted at some future date. I am therefore reluctant to scrap anything. Neither do I want to put a lot of possibly unnecessary files on the new computer.

I need to be able to search the old hard drive and recover a file if it is wanted.

The old computer is about 9 years old and is slow and may not be worth upgrading.

I now have two computers and one monitor and I am not sure what would be the best route.

I have not used a Docking Station before but thought this could be a possibility, on Amazon I found:

DUAL 2.5"/3.5" IDE SATA HDD HARD DRIVE DOCK DOCKING STATION IDE SATA eSATA USB ALL IN 1
    By DX-MALL

Any ideas would be a big help. Thanks.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3070 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6200 LE, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 232048 MB, Free - 150174 MB; D: Total - 6404 MB, Free - 1505 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., Basswood
    Antivirus: PC Cleaner Pro, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if its that important data - do you have it backed up onto at least one if not two other devices ?

I would simply buy a couple of external harddrives and copy the data - so you have at least two copied
    maybe really important data on to DVDs as well

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I'd use my USB Bytecc adapter for temporary usage (and if the old HDD is IDE)
    If the HDD is a SATA and I wanted to keep in connected ... I'd use my External Enclosure
    And a New HDD to plug into the External Enclosure may not be a bad idea

A fresh install of XP on that old computer ... And it may not be as slow as you think ...
    :D :D Especially if you change the C Drive :D :D

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      133.2 KB
      Views:
  4. westone

westone Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies it is appreciated. I have been using computers for over 20 years but my technical knowledge is limited.

I have backed up everything to an external Seagate drive using Paragon software and more recently used, JustCloud. With JustCloud I took the easy route and just clicked on backup "Everything" rather than use the "Advanced" tab.

Some months later I found out that none of my emails were backed up. In fact only a very small part of the hard drive was backed up. To find out more I asked customer service and then went into the "Advanced" section.

For most people everything means everything. It will only be in an emergency they will find out what is available. This experience has made me suspicious of software backups.

Ideally I would like to use both methods, but mainly rely on a, "Docking Station". I have never used one and wondered what the snags are, if there are any. Would I be able to find a file as easily as I can at present?

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

A "Docking Station" is just an External Hard Drive where you can plug in your own Hard Drive.
    Similar to this External HDD Enclosure and a Hard Drive like This One
    How easily you can find a backup file all depends on how you organize your Data Backups in the External.

In addition to backing up your Personal Data in an External Enclosure ..
    You can also backup your entire operating system using Macrium
    If you use Western Digital Hard Drives Acronis is free
    A lot depends on how big your operating system is.
    How many GB full is your C: partition (operating system) ????

6. westone

westone Thread Starter

This is all I can find on the computer I will be using.

Dell Optiplex GX620 Desktop
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0GHz Hyper Threading, Memory: 2048MB - Hard drive: 750 GB - Optical Storage: DVD-Rom Drive
    Integrated Intel GMA950 video chipset(PCI-Express x16 slot available for Graphics upgrade) - Integrated Gigabit Ethernet LAN controller - Integrated sound card
    I/O Ports: No PS/2 ports One (1) 9-pin Serial port One (1) Parallel port One (1) VGA video port RJ-45 Ethernet LAN Eight (8) USB ports (six rear, two front) Line in, line out audio (front & back)
    OS preinstalled (including COA license sticker and genuine installation disk): Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Other preinstalled software: Adobe PDF Reader, Flash Player, Windows Live Essentials 2011, Microsoft Security Essentials, Open Office V3.x

What I would like to be able to do is:

1) Not lose any of the files on the old hard drive.

2) To be able to easily access a file on the old hard drive when I need it. A lot of it is probably junk but I am never sure what I will want, some of it will only be accessed perhaps once a year.

3) I don’t want to transfer all these files to the new computer unless I have to. I would rather they stayed on the old hard drive and were gradually deleted.

I really appreciate all the advice you are giving me because my technical knowledge is very limited, and I have made mistakes in the past.

Thanks to you all.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1116327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice