1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved DOCSIS DSG Filters over Tunnels?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AlwaysBrian, Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlwaysBrian

AlwaysBrian Thread Starter

First Name:
    It's Always Brian
    Hello and thanks for reading.

During a 7 month long period from 2017/2018 I found an odd page on the Diagnostics menu from my Cox Communications set top box (STB).

On a page set aside for 'DSG' filters, each with an assigned "Tunnel ID, application ID, MAC, Ports, Destination IP and Source IP's". All port ranges are the same, from 0 to 65535. There are differences but I was concerned about a the potential for a MITM attack for various reasons I wont delve into here. Every destination IP is a multicast address, and out of the 5 tunnels the source IP's are from Baton Rouge, LA, Oklahoma City and one other location that escapes me right now...we live in AZ. Could this be associated with any Denial of Service? I know that all the IP's are Cox IP's, but I'm still at a loss about this.

A call to Cox yielded this curious conversation:

Me: (after going over the above details) What are these for? And are they in any way involved with the suspected MITM attack on our home network?

Cox Level 3 rep "Arthur": What you know is all you're going to know.

Me: but I'm really concerned about my family's privacy...

Cox: Like I said...(repeat)

What the hell is this? The best part is that they appear to no longer be up and running. We've made no change to our service. Why would my set top box need 5 open tunnels spread out over three states not called Arizona (where we live)? For the company to shut down in such an abrupt and dismissive way says something. Generally always willing to help, after asking about DSG filters on my STB I get a very rude "we're not saying anything".

Pics below. It talks about "CableCard" and I know what that is. And apparently you would need to specifically set that up with the service provider to activate it. That has never happened. And today it is "inactive" 20171117_195540.jpg 20171117_195613.jpg 20171117_195631 - Copy.jpg 20171117_200029.jpg

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice