1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Document not saved - no backups to be found

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by kimmer13, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

We have a user running Wordperfect Legal Edition v8, on an XP machine, on a peer-to-peer network.

His Wordperfect save path is C:\MyFiles. He has timed backups at 10 min intervals going to C:\MyFiles\Backup. His assistant's pc is named Clare.

O9/3, he opened a document that was on Clare's pc. After edits, he clicked Save. The path came up in the dialog box as
    "c:\Documents and Settings\Eric Larson\NetHood\c on Clare\" He wanted to change it, but it just changed back again to this again. Finally, he just clicked "save". Then he printed and closed. When he went to edit it, the file could not be found. Doing a search on his entire hard drive, and on Clare's, yielding no file.

This whole thing happened two more times, on 9/10 and on 9/13, with two other docs. Am I correct that WP first erases the file that already exists before it then saves the 'new' version that they have on their screen? So in these cases, network problems may have caused a save failure, which resulted in the original and the edited versions both being gone?

Also, a key question - there are *no* documents in the backup folder with these dates (in fact none from the past couple months), even though his edit sessions were more than 10 minutes. Why would this be?

thanks for your insight! kimmer

2. tbritches

tbritches

I do not know what the cause of the problem may be, but I would suggest that the files be copied from clare to his machine then opened from there. Then after saving on his machine, then copied back to clare. At the very least, this will show whether it is a WP issue or a networking one.

He could also use "Save AS" and give the filee a sligtly different name to save on his local computer.

The Automatic Backup is to be able to recover if there is a crash in WP or your system. If WordPerfect is closed normally, the backup files are deleted. It was not designed to cover those people who regularly fail to save.

3. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

tbritches, thanks for the reply. turns out there is a hub that is failing at the office, which has caused intermittent connectivity issues. seems as though this person's problems are caused by the hub. we are replacing with a new switch. i will report again if that does not solve the problem. i have told him in the meantime to do a save-as and direct it to his machine, or open the file as a copy so as to leave the original intact on Clare's.

thanks again,
    kimmer

4. tbritches

tbritches

Glad I could help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274777

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice