1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Document not saved" to server from Word 07 and Excel 07

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by igolfdu, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. igolfdu

igolfdu Thread Starter

We have an issue that just developed. I have several Windows XP computers and two Windows 7 Professional laptops. All were working fine editing and saving files to our Window NT server. Now we get a "Document not saved" message. There is a file created, but it has "0" bytes and cannot be opened. The message states that MS Excel cannot open that file becuase it is not a valid "xlsx file. I have run virus scans on all of the coputer using Kaspersky Internet Security 2010. Found some minor bugs that were removed. Files can be saved to individual hard drives and then they can be cut and pasted to the server. I thought the permissions may have gotten changed on th eserver, but I reset those.

2. airelav

airelav

I have had the same issues that started right after the Windows Update on 04/14. I have been scanning the reg entries trying to to find what changed.

3. igolfdu

igolfdu Thread Starter

I found that unistalling the updates from 4/14 resolved the situation. It is no the best solution, but we are up and working again.

4. airelav

airelav

yeah I tried to uninstall the updates as well but restore will not allow me to.

5. MGCKCard

MGCKCard

We've had the same problem for the past couple of days. What has worked so far is a system restore back to Wednesday, April 14th. Then we installed the updates one by one. We found the problem was one particular update -- KB980232. Our short term solution is to have the automatic updates off until we can figure out WHY this is a problem.

6. igolfdu

igolfdu Thread Starter

I actually had uninstall several updates to fix the problem. They are all related to the security update.

7. medimgg

medimgg

Yesterday I read above that KB980232 update was the culprit. I uninstalled the update and the office docs and xls. files could be saved to the server!

Unfortunately, MS downloaded more updates last night, with different numbers of course. Now I cannot save to the network again.

Help!

Thanks
    Steve

8. igolfdu

igolfdu Thread Starter

I had to uninstall all of the following updates:
    KB981715
    KB980232
    KB079683
    KB979309
    KB981332
    All of these updated are 4/13/2010.
    In Windows 7
    KB978338
    KB977816

9. medimgg

medimgg

Thanks for the response. I'll try deleting the May 13th items one at a time to see what happens.

Steve

10. igolfdu

igolfdu Thread Starter

You may want to change your Windows Update settings to notify you when updates are available. You can then choose not to install the referenced updates.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918042

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice