Document templates in word

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lemalot

I created some document templates under Word 97 -- File, New and now I can't get rid of them. Can't seem to find the right key words in Microsoft's Knowledge Base to address this. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

You say you can't get rid of them... how have you tried? Do you receive an error when trying to delete them?

Do you remember what you named them? If you do a Find for that template (filename.dot), does it come up? If so, what happens if you try to delete it?

lemalot

I created a document template in word by making the document and then saving it as a document template. It now appears in the New menu under file. It does not appear in my documents directory. I have tried viewing "All Files" and "document templates." It's simply not in the directory. I even did a "find" for all my .dot files. It showed me the files I wanted to delete but when I right clicked and pushed delete, it says:

Cannot delete soandso. Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected.

The files are in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates.
Well, with 82 gigabytes I doubt the disk is full and I certainly didn't tell my system to write protect it. I have even checked the mostly useless help files. Nothing there -- not even from the stupid paperclip guy :((

Lemalot

Make sure you don't have Word open when trying to delete them.
If you still can't delete them, try booting into Safe Mode and delete them there.
And if for some reason that doesn't work, reboot in dos mode and delete them from Dos.

Anne Troy

Anne
If you intended to use them as templates, that is where they belong. Try deleting them when Word is closed. If you hit file-new and double-click one of them, and then go try to delete it, you can't. It's in use...

So close Word first, then delete or move.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts