1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

documents and setting file full of 19 gig of files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by paulmars, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulmars

paulmars Thread Starter

Many files including music and open office files. Open office is not installed on this computer. Most of these files cant be deleted. Error says files cant be found, or something like that. Is it safe to delete all and how?

xp prof sp3, HHD 26gig

>p

2. Morny

Morny

Hi paulmars and welcome to TSG

Do you actually have Open Office installed on your computer? Also, when do you get the error that says files cannot be found? Is it when you try to open something?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Go into this temp folder:

C:\Documents And Settings\(Username)\Local Settings\Temp

Everything inside that temp folder can be deleted.

If it's never been emptied, it may have hundreds of files inside it.

If a few files resist deletion, leave the alone and delete everything else.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not there to see what the rest of the C:\Documents And Settings tree in your computer looks like, so I don't know what else can be deleted.

4. Morny

Morny

Not sure if this way deletes other files too? Double click My Computer - Right Click Preload C and choose Disk Clean-up.

Not sure if many people perform a disk check but I feel it should be done every so often just to make sure all is OK. Only hastle is it takes a while to do. Also defragmenting the hard drive will help to keep your computer in tip-top shape.

5. paulmars

paulmars Thread Starter

I want to defrag her drive, but right now there is 200m empty. Thats too little to do a defrag. I deleted all *.tmp files, deleted some old apps, and some junk files. After all that it has the 200meg free. Looking around I saw 19g in the doc and settings folder. I've also already done the cleanup.

Most of these files(Documents and settings (avi, openoffice, etc) cant be deleted. Error says files cant be found, or something like that.(when I hit the del key)

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Right-click Recycle Bin and then click Properties. Move the slider from 10% to 3% and then click Apply - OK.

Right-click My Computer and then click Properties - System Restore(tab). Move the slider from 12% to 3% and then click Apply - OK.

There's no need for the recycle bin and for system restore to utilize all that hard drive space.

Restart your computer and then see how much hard drive space has been reclaimed.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice