1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Documents and Settings" on h drive goes forever

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by shathis, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shathis

shathis Thread Starter

h drive had windows 7, laptop too slow so i took out the hd. after hooking it up, nothing seemed wrong, till i checked directories. deleted windows, program files, user, etc no prob.. but when you go into "Documents and Settings", the files from c:\user are there.. if you delete a file on g:\Documents and Setting\.... it dissapears from c:\user.... Also. in Documents and Setting\all users\application data\ the "application data" you can keep going down and down for example "G:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data"... etc Go deep enough, it shows in properties "G:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\Application Data"

i want to delete the files without deleting the ones in c:\user. also an explanation for the infinity of application data,,,

2. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Documents and Settings is not a real folder, but is designated as a system folder for protection.. It a "Junction" folder, and it is there to allow legacy programs tobe used in compatibility mode the Windows 8 folder structure.
    T
    You have apparently altered the security permissions, in order to access the folder. In fact, here are no files inside. It points to C:\Users\*your user name*\Appdata and C:\Users\*your user name*\My Documents. The files you are seeing, and deleting, are virtual here are no files inside. When you delete those files, your are, in reality, deleting the original and real files in the path I have stated. There is no way you can delete one, without the other. Documents and Settings takes up no space and, if you follow the defaults, and keep the System files hidden in the options, you cannot see the folder and it should not be any sorce of trouble to your.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice