1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Documents and Settings

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Fred_Flinstone, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fred_Flinstone

Fred_Flinstone Thread Starter

:)I have a small network of 2 computers. Both are running Windows XP Pro. I want to access the documents and settings folder over the network so I could back up this folder onto the other computer that has the DVD burner. When I try to access that folder I get this message:"...is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network ressource. Contact the administrator...Acess is denied." I have gone through all the share procedures, I can access other folders but not this one. I even mapped a drive but still no go. Does anyone have any knowledge about this problem. Is this folder non-sharable?

2. elmore724

elmore724

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Make sure you're not using Simple Sharing, which limits access to some folders.

4. Fred_Flinstone

I did all those things in the link mentioned by elmore724. The problem is not that I am unable to share files over the network but the folder I want to backup holds the documents and settings of the administrator on that computer. For some reason I have don't have access to this folder in documents and settings. :)

5. JohnWill

Did you make sure you're not running Simple Sharing?

6. Fred_Flinstone

The box for simple file sharing is unchecked in both computers.

7. JohnWill

Check the permissions of the Document and Settings folder on the target machine. I have no issue at all with XP-Pro or Vista-Ultimate sharing any and all of those folders.

8. Fred_Flinstone

Permission is set to everyone can read the folder.

9. Fred_Flinstone

I forgot to mention that the folder documents and settings folder is accessible however some of the sub folders are not.

10. JohnWill

Make sure you have propagated the permissions to all the subfolders.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/816388

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice