1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Documents and settings

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by chambersc, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chambersc

chambersc Thread Starter

Long story short, I have moved my music and iTunes folder from my old XP pc onto my new vista laptop. On my XP pc the music folder was in C:documents and settings/chris/my documents/music, I have moved the iTunes folder and so all my music appears in iTunes but none of the songs can be found or played, I.E Itunes is looking in the wrong place.

Now i did this a while back on the Vista machine and got it to work, i somehow created a "documents and settings" folder on the C: Drive. But I have since had to factory reset my laptop and now when i try to do the same this doesnt work?! Every time i try to it comes up with an error message saying i "dont have permission".

Anyone had the same problem or got any tips on how to overcome this?!

Help would be greatly apreciated!!!

Chris

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    In Vista and 7 the "Documents and Settings" folder is called "Users". Now there is a folder called "Documents & Settings" but its really a pointer for legacy purposes already on the drive but its hidden and not accessible. So you should not be trying to create such a folder nor do you need to. All you need to do is to move the iTunes music to the Music folder in Windows Vista, then install iTunes and add the music back to your iTunes library. If you have old playlists those need to removed and recreated in iTunes.

3. chambersc

chambersc Thread Starter

But i've managed it before in Vista?! Thats why im confused, i even took a picture of the file path before I factory reset my laptop! I've just tried puting my music in the C:users/chris/ etc folder and it didnt work, il have to go through every single track and locate it!

4. chambersc

chambersc Thread Starter

And also i can't find the folder named "documents and settings" i have changed folder options to allow all hidden files and folders to be shown aswell. If i could find this then i would just put my music in there!

5. BillSnapWire

BillSnapWire

have you got full control over these folders? check properties then security and see if you have full control

6. chambersc

chambersc Thread Starter

Solved!! found the DandS folder in the end, deleted it and made a new 1 with my itunes gubbins in it! now i remember how i did it!!!lol thanks for the help!:)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!